• Roseville Yard

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by salbertson

Anyone work for Union Pacific out of Roseville and know if there is a need for train crew employees? If so are they planning on hiring? I know it's kind of a subjective question but thanks in advance for any info.
  by UPLee

Dude, don't bother!!! :( They are going to furlough guys in Roseville, all the way up to 04' dates. I'm like the #1 07' guy and I only have 5 spots in the whole hub I can hold. I'm going to be furloughed anytime now. There is a new hire class going on right now, and those guys are getting furloughed as soon as they finish training. UP is reporting record profits for the third quarter this year...off the blood of the employee's.
  by salbertson

Wow, that bad huh. Thought with gas prices high and economy bad that railroad freight would pickup. Will you be able to get work at any other yards like Oakland or Sparks? Thanks for the heads up and good luck.
  by UPLee

I wasn't just talking about Roseville, but the whole Roseville service unit! I've worked everywhere, and it's bad everywhere!!! :(
  by ecouter

salbertson wrote:Thought with gas prices high and economy bad that railroad freight would pickup.
Some faulty logic, that. Let's see...home construction's in the toilet (building supplies), auto sales down close to 30% (parts, raw materials, finished autos), and consumer spending is way off (intermodal shipments, consumer goods, imports, etc.). That adds up to fewer carloadings, shorter/fewer trains/crew starts. In the places on the network where those segments of the economy are a larger part of the operation, there will be less need for train crews for a while.
  by ecouter

As info:
AAR wrote:Freight volume on U.S. railroads trailed year ago totals during the week ended Oct. 25, reported the Association of American Railroads (AAR).

Carload freight for the week totaled 325,315 cars, down 4.7 percent from last year, with volume off 4.8 percent in the West and 4.5 percent in the East. Intermodal volume, which is not included in the carload data, totaled 230,774 trailers or containers, down 4.1 percent from last year. Container volume was off 2.4 percent while trailer traffic fell 10.0 percent. Total volume was estimated at 34.5 billion ton-miles, down 3.9 percent from the comparable week last year.

Sixteen of 19 carload commodity groups were down from a year ago, with automotive traffic off 28.1 percent, waste and scrap down 22.7 percent and metals dropping 22.3 percent. Coal volume registered a 6.5 percent gain from the comparable week last year.

Cumulative volume for the first 43 weeks of 2008 totaled 13,996,433 carloads, down 0.4 percent from 2007; 9,692,715 trailers or containers, down 3.0 percent; and total volume of an estimated 1.46 trillion ton-miles, up 0.7 percent from last year.
One thing to note is that the latest changes to hours of service law may actually make a difference in manpower requirements. It remains to be seen what the extent of that will be, though.
  by ShortLiner

I work as a Conductor for a local shortline in the area and were still gettin 10 to 12 but only cause were storin tankers and have a fra excepted yard so 5 at a time. otherwise actual switchin out industries has all but dried up. been tryin to get a job in the roseville service unit but until the economy turns around its not worth it. Seen alot of friends who work for UP gettin bumped off there jobs by higher senority who have had there jobs dissapear.