• Rolling Equipment Roster for MARC?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by electricron

From rrpictures web site, I believe MARC owns 12 ex-Metra Galley cars, all trailers (7900s). Is that correct? What is their maximum speed?

From this news article, http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/s ... ily53.html
I believe MARC owns 63 Kawasaki bi-level cars (7800s). Is that correct? How many are cabs or trailers?
Can the 13 ex-VRE K cars reach the same maximum 125 mph speed as the rest?

From this MARC link,
http://mta.maryland.gov/resources/Media_Guide.pdf
I believe MARC owns 60 single level Nippon Sharyo cars (7700s). Is that correct? How many are cabs or trailers? What are their maximum speed?

Is car MARC 1 still owned by MARC and available for use?
  by HokieNav

All of the gallery cars are trailers and can only be used on the Brunswick Line (Camden and Penn have high level platforms which are incompatible).

Data on the original 7800 cars is available here:
http://www.kawasakirailcar.com/mta.htm

The 13 ex-VRE cars are 125 mph qualified and serve regularly on the Penn Line.
  by electricron

Thanks for the link.....

So therefore, out of the 50 Kawasaki cars built for MARC;
26 Trailers without restrooms or snack bars
7 trailers with restrooms
7 trailers with snack bars
10 cab cars with restrooms

What are the configurations of the 13 Kawasaki cars originally bought by the VRE?
i believe it is safe to assume there aren't any with snack bars. How many are cabs, and are there any with restrooms?
  by HokieNav

Check out the thread where we discussed MARC buying the cars, the breakdown of cab/trailers are in there (I think that it's 4 cabs (7855-7858) and 9 trailers (7826-7835)). As far as I know the cab cars all have restrooms and if my memory serves me correct the trailers don't have restrooms.
  by electricron

HokieNav wrote:Check out the thread where we discussed MARC buying the cars, the breakdown of cab/trailers are in there (I think that it's 4 cabs (7855-7858) and 9 trailers (7826-7835)). As far as I know the cab cars all have restrooms and if my memory serves me correct the trailers don't have restrooms.
Thanks, that pretty much settles the discussion as far as the Kawasaki cars are concerned.
Any more help on the Nippon Sharyo (MARC II) cars?

So therefore, out of the 63 Kawasaki cars built for MARC;
35 Trailers without restrooms or snack bars
7 trailers with restrooms
7 trailers with snack bars
14 cab cars with restrooms
  by HokieNav

Not much, sorry. The run on the Penn Line so they're rated at least to 90 - not sure if they run in the expresses (I think that they do) so they'd be rated to the same 125, but that's just a guess.
  by electricron

HokieNav wrote:Not much, sorry. The run on the Penn Line so they're rated at least to 90 - not sure if they run in the expresses (I think that they do) so they'd be rated to the same 125, but that's just a guess.
I asked because it's normal for MARC to run these trains in mixed trainsets, with both Kawasaki and Nippon Sharyo cars on the same trains. If the Nippon Sharyo cars aren't rated the same as the Kawasaki cars, then including them on the same train lowers that train's top speed to that of the Nippon Sharyo cars.
Anyone have any more information you wish to add?
  by Mirai Zikasu

I just found Nippon Sharyo's page with details on the cars. Apparently, they were designed for up to 120mph operation, though there's a note about regular operation at 105mph. I can't figure out the significance of that, but I imagine that the things can run at 120mph speed just fine with the electrics with their higher top speed.
  by MACTRAXX

Mirai Zikasu wrote:I just found Nippon Sharyo's page with details on the cars. Apparently, they were designed for up to 120mph operation, though there's a note about regular operation at 105mph. I can't figure out the significance of that, but I imagine that the things can run at 120mph speed just fine with the electrics with their higher top speed.
MZ: Good find-I remembered wanting to see a fact sheet on these cars because I do think (and still do) that a variation of these cars could have been a good fit back in the day for the LIRR perhaps with center doors like the similar South Shore MUs have...before the C3 Bilevel order was placed in the late 90s...MACTRAXX
  by realtype

There are 60 Nippon Sharyo/Sumitomo MARC II Single Level Coaches and Cab Cars. 26 are MARC IIA and 34 are MARC IIB (approx. 5 years newer than the A's). The top speed for these cars is 110mph. So in mixed consists the speed is automatically lowered to 110mph, which prob doesn't make a huge difference schedule-wise since only a few express trains would exceed that speed for extended periods of time. Also MARC the MARC III Kawasaki bilevels were limited to 115mph for over 2 years recently. Of course this does affect Amtrak's Holiday Extra services which uses two 6-7 car MARC sets completely composed of the single levels (bilevels don't have adequate clearance for tunnels into New York) and a HHP-8 (MARC or Amtrak).

The MARC IIB cars have been in the process of being overhauled (3 at a time) for the past 3 or so years by Bombardier in New York. The overhauled cars which started appearing early last year are easily identifiable by new "paint," trucks, and bright LED interior lighting. The MARC IIA cars were all overhauled quite a while ago.

As a side note, besides the low-platform requirement for MARC's gallery cars restricting them to the Brunswick Line to Brunswick and M'burg only (Frederick Branch has a high platform at Monocacy and a ADA mini-high at Frederick) they don't have clearance for the Baltimore tunnels anyway on the Penn Line (well at least the B&P tunnel). Same applies for Amtrak's Superliner bi-levels. The NEC obviously wasn't designed with bilevels in mind :P although LIRR, NJT, and (to some extent) MARC have had custom designs built to squeeze into its tight clearances.