• Rockland County Obscure Lines (some)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Mark_K

Golly, I sure hope this isn't off topic...

I came across brief mention of the following in some of the Gordon Thompson Tri-State ROW inventories and some other sources (see for example: http://villageofhaverstraw.files.wordpr ... ilroad.jpg)

Does anyone know if these were common-carriers or just glorified switching lines for their respective industrial concerns, e.g., Garnersville Print works, Peck's Samsondale (Haverstraw) armory, etc.
Also, any approximate dates of service would be cool to know.

-- Garnersville RR
-- Southfields RR
-- Pecks RR

I did check Google and Wikipedia. ;)
  by njmidland

And there was the non common carrier Rockland Lake Inclined Railroad that ran from the east side of the lake down to the Hudson. This time of year you can see a few traces of it.
  by CarterB

1920 Poors Manual lists the Garnerville RR from Garnerville to Garnerville Print Works (1.0mile) as owned by the NJ&NY RR.

Southfield Branch Railroad is shown on a 1869 map connecting with the Erie at Southfields and going up to a furnace. Also listed
in the Annual report on the railroads of New York 1877 as in operation. In NY list of Railroads states it operated 1868-1894

The Peck Company was also one of only a few manufacturers that produced brick inland. Its bricks were transported via a "narrow gauge railroad" from its brickyard to its pier, Peck's dock. Peck Brick operated until at least 1910, but no mention of railroad dates.

There was also the Sterling Mountain Railroad that ran off the Erie at Sterlington and serviced a mine and some foundrys up by Sterling Lake, There was even a plan to use this line by the North Jersey Rapid Transit interurban to get up to Greenwood Lake, that never materialized, but was planned.
Last edited by CarterB on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Mark_K

Thanks Isakenj and NJ Midland --

I am aware of the Sterling Mtn RY and the Rockland Lake Incline. Have some pix of the incline from someone (M. Feldner?) I can post sometime though they may same as those in the Midlander article.

CarterB --

Thanks for the look-up. It sounds like these lines were basically little more than glorified spurs. The Pecks RR on the map I cited above looks different than the brickyard operation you're describing. I wouldn't be surprised
if the brickyard operation was elsewhere nearby.