• Rock Island 415 in Kansas

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by BSOR Patarak

I wondered if anyone can shed some light on the ex Rock Island Alco C415 that used to set in Morris, Kansas.

As late as 2001, it was reported on a siding near the Erman Corp scrap yard in Morris, Kansas. I am not too familiar with the area and I understand that it is near Argentine Yard? The locomotive sat with a flat car belonging to a local historical society. Supposedly the scrap yard purchased what ever scrap was on the car...but not the locomotive.

It was mentioned somewhere that the engine was spotted moving somewhere over the last year or so. Where did it go?

It is the Rock Island #424. It was painted blue and had been owned by the PLM Railcar facility in Montana. It was painted a light blue. PLM renumbered the unit to #421. This is the last number that it wore.

Anyone have any details about this engine and it's current state/location? It is one of only two Rock Island 415's left.

Thanks,
Pat Connors

by zwsplac

It was still there as of last August. It's located just west of the Douglas Avenue crossing in Morris, about 2 miles west of Argentine Yard.

by BSOR Patarak

I had talked to an employee of Erman this past week. It was stated that the engine was indeed there once. He remembered it being blue. He also recalled purchasing something off of a flat car that sat with it from a local historical society. He stated that they did not buy the flat car or locomotive, though he didn't recall seeing the engine recently.

Anyone know of what historical society had the flat car or materials that were sold? Or if they'd know any more about the locomotive? Seems to me that it has seemed to move. Sure would like to know where to.

Is that on BNSF or UP? Can anyone near by confirm that it is no longer on this siding?

Thanks,
Pat

by Alcoman

Taken off Loco Notes e-mail yahoo group TODAY 2/5/2006:

Railcar Maint. 421 is on an isolated section of track
west of BNSF Argentine, about a mile out of the yard.

by dlwpocono

Regarding PLM C-415 421... reply from loconotes
"Railcar Maint. 421 is on an isolated section of track west of BNSF Argentine (Kansas), about a mile out of the yard."
Anyone in the area willing to take a look for us?

Still there as of 2/12/06

by BSOR Patarak

When it says "isolated" piece of track, does this mean that it is on a siding no longer connected to the main? Or just an unused track outside of the yard? Is the engine still somewhat complete? I had heard that a truck was removed at some point for work. Is it still with the flatcar and historical society stuff?

Thanks,
Pat Connors
BSOR

by dlwpocono

The locomotive appears reasonably intact, both trucks are still under it. It sits at the far east end of a siding, the east end no longer connects to the main line. The siding runs for quite a distance west, I don't know if it still connects to the main at the west end. The siding is somewhat overgrown, so it clearly has not been used for some time.
There is no other equipment (flat car or anything else) stored with the engine.