• RJ Corman and Susie-Q on Wyckoff, NJ

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by RichM

I'm guessing, but I'd expect it to be related to the welded rail installation in the area. The new rail's been on the ground in the area of Franklin Ave. since late May, but I haven't seen a tie inventory anywhere nearby. Also, a fair amount of new ballast is required, so it's a major undertaking.
I'm also assuming this trackwork was delayed until the CSX Riverline trackwork was completed.

by trainfreak

Yeah there is a good amount of welded rail to be installed. Also up around Franklin you can see some stick rail down along side the tracks so they are also doing work up there. When i saw the stick rail piled up along side the tracks there seemed to be a fair amount and i think they have laid it down next to where they are going to install it.

by RichM

There are several gondolas on the siding just north of Franklin Ave. I went by too fast to see if they're loaded or are just there for the stick rail pickup, but maybe something will start soon.

by cjvrr

Tuesday I got out of work early. RJ Corman has equipment on a siding in Riverdale too. Specifically a rail mounted backhoe, spike reclaimer, and I think a spike puller.

I could also see workers near the diamond at Pompton Junction.

by lhrfan

trainfreak,
The stick-rail in Franklin (boro) that you see was pulled up and replaced with welded rail a few months ago, before the detours.
Bill

by trainfreak

Yeah i thought that that was all to be installed. There are still some spots where you can see the stick rail along side the actual tracks a couple hundred feet before Davis Rd heading railroad east. Bill i see your from Wantage i am to!

by trainman2

The Gons between Wyckoff and Franklin Avenues are where we're storing the new tie plates. The welded rail is heavier than what's already there, and needs its own plates.

by RichM

I had driven past the gons last Thursday morning and couldn't see into them, so you solved a mystery!

Is there a schedule on the rail installation yet? I'm not interested in photography, I just want to avoid any traffic on Franklin Avenue!

Rich
  by RichM

It's happening!

The welded rail near the Franklin Ave, crossing has been installed!. Three Corman trucks were parked at the crossing this morning at 7:00 AM. Looked like the new rails were in, tie plates replaced, spiked and graded, waiting for ballasting.

A major improvement in appearance (and probably speed). Looks like a first class operation again.

by trainfreak

Im glad to see the NYSW booming again and almost well not really as busy as they were back in the days where Stack Packs roamed free on the railroad.

by BlockLine_4111

So they are finally installing welded rail.

Are they using spikes or pandrol clips ?

New ties or used ties ?

by BlockLine_4111

trainfreak wrote:Im glad to see the NYSW booming again and almost well not really as busy as they were back in the days where Stack Packs roamed free on the railroad.
When the superstackers pounded the hell out of that shabby light wt. stick rail.
  by RichM

Mike, since you asked about the ties and spikes, it's been dark on both my morning and evening treks across Franklin Avenue. Maybe tomorrow we can identify new ties or old...

by cjvrr

New ties were installed as needed earlier in the year. This is strictly rail replacement east of Butler and weld in place near Franklin and points west.

I was on the speeder trip over the line last weekend (Oct. 16-17) and clips are being used between Butler and points east. I did not ride west of Butler but followed the speeders by car, providing protection at the crossings. In Franklin several lengths of new rail where stockpiled near the main as part of the project. They were to re-start the project on October 18 after a two week hiatus.

Chris

by BlockLine_4111

It' surprising how pre-WWII 100 lb. stick rail lasted for so long under the pounding of six-axle and widecab locos plus them sea-land, maersk superstackers too.

With the inevitability of a rail break and mega disaster they opted now to replace the track.