• RiverLINE vs. NIMBYs

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Pacobell73

I seem to recall several pockets on NIMBYs along the RiverLINE that were quite vocal---and quite sure the train would never come through. Granted, they had minimal clout because the line was already used by Conrail. So my question is: how were the NIMBYs defeated?
  by radioboy

Not legal tender? Damn. I was just getting ready to run off a few hundred of those.
  by Pacobell73

Paid them off? Wow, is that all is takes?
  by WaitinginSJ

I don't think it's that the nimby's were paid off
  by styckx

Not saying they were paid off. But the almighty dollar played a part in it I'm certain.
  by Pacobell73

I guess because the line was already in pretty regular use by Conrail (vs. a twice weekly freight), the NIMBYs had less of a leg to stand on.

I am sure if the line was dead (like Freehold-Matawan), then it would have been a different battle entirely.
  by Woodcrest295

from what i recall people in Riverton and Cinnaminson were pretty peeved at the beginning of service. its alittle ironic that TOD development has happened so at those two stops and not others.
  by Patrick Boylan

A Riverton resident who was a coworker of mine admitted to me that she was opposed to the Riverline before it started operating, but had become a happy passenger, satisfied with the service. She used to drive to work in Center City Philly, and likes using the Riverline much better than driving. She lives within walking distance of Riverton train station.
  by Pacobell73

gardendance, that is a great example you supplied. Like anything, change is never easy. Some adjust differently than others. That resident you mentioned is a nice example of "hey' don't knock it til ya try it." I like those stories :-D
  by ExCon90

Pacobell73 wrote:gardendance, that is a great example you supplied. Like anything, change is never easy. Some adjust differently than others. That resident you mentioned is a nice example of "hey' don't knock it til ya try it." I like those stories :-D
This happens time and time again with new light rail lines. Once people see what light rail actually is, as opposed to what they erroneously thought it was going to be, or what opponents hoodwinked them into thinking it would be, they become converts. Another example was quoted recently in the Inquirer (I forget whose byline it was); the mayor of Gloucester City was opposed to the proposed extension through there the first time it was proposed (and defeated), but now that he's seen the effect of light rail on Burlington and other RiverLINE points, he's officially in favor of it. The moral seems to be: get something built and up and running, and a lot of opposition melts away.
  by airman00

Not to stray too far off topic, but I went on a trip to denver over this past summer and they have a really great light rail system. Very clean, trains all look brand new, just a really great system that takes you all over the city, and not expensive either. (We also ran through a union pacific freight yard, and saws lots of old engines including a long string of sw1500's)

Anyhow my point is you guys are all correct in your assesments, that people should see and experience something before they say yes or no. And that Denver LRT system should be the model LRT for the country if you ask me.
  by ExCon90

Regarding what I said above about Gloucester City, I just remembered that the article I saw was in the latest DVARP newsletter -- anybody who has a copy can read the whole thing there.
  by Pacobell73

airman00 wrote:Not to stray too far off topic, but I went on a trip to denver over this past summer and they have a really great light rail system. Very clean, trains all look brand new, just a really great system that takes you all over the city, and not expensive either. Anyhow, my point is you guys are all correct in your assesments, that people should see and experience something before they say yes or no. And that Denver LRT system should be the model LRT for the country if you ask me.
Yes, Denver is superb. The politics all point in favour of it, and it is very efficient. And they actually spend their alloted funds wisely, to the point of completing projects under budget!http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/miscA ... cfm?id=255
  by Patrick Boylan

I have lately noticed a corner property about a block from the Palmyra station with 2 lawn signs 'Mute the Toot'.