• RiverLINE-PATCO vs SEPTA R7 and proposed fare increase

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Mdlbigcat

I have just read the SEPTA "doomsday" fare proposal, and I was (somewhat) shocked at what SEPTA will charge for fares to Trenton: can you believe that SEPTA will charge $9 for a one-way trip to Trenton at ALL times? And the round-trip will cost $16.50. Now compare this to the fares using NJT Bus and the RiverLINE ($3.70 round trip) and the PATCO Line/RiverLINE ($4.60 round trip). Now anyone with half a brain will do the math, and realize the RATHER INCREDIBLE savings by going via Camden.

I have noticed a lot of people from the Center-City area using the PATCO/RiverLINE connection, and a few doing the NJT bus-RiverLINE connection as well, now add the fact that the RiverLINE runs more frequently that the R7 (with better connections to the NEC Line than the R7), and SEPTA will have a BIG problem, especially if they go through with the "doomsday" scenario. I have told friends that live in Center City that the PATCO/RiverLINE connection is much better and cheaper than walking to Suburban Station and waiting forever for a SEPTA train.

I also plan to try to talk to reporters from the Philadelphia Weekly, and the City Paper and introduce them to this DIRT CHEAP alternative to the (present and future) more exorbitant SEPTA fares.

by Irish Chieftain

Trying to make the "River Line" a victim of its own success? The more riders attracted to it, the more incentive that SNJLRG-LLC might have to raise fares...
(with better connections to the NEC Line than the R7)
Disagree. The LRT is upstairs while the R7 is actually on the NEC. More accurate to say "more frequent connections"...but the spoiler there of course is PATCO and the longer journey times on the LRT.
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Lackawanna484

Septa's in a terrible bind, and has been for years. PATCO, and the RiverLine have managed to avoid the bind for now, fares will have to go up there, too.

Rail transit isn't cheap, and requires investment to maintain and upgrade. Septa doesn't have good sources of cash, and has few hopes of getting any. For all the moaning and groaning, NJT, RiverLine, and PATCO are light years better off than Septa.

by alewifebp

I monitor the SEPTA forum as well, and see these incredible problems that they have. And I think that I have seen several reports that show that Pennsylvania's contribution to the operating budget of SEPTA is much lower than that of competing mass transit agencies, at least percentage wise.

And while the R7 would be more than a PATCO/RiverLine ride, that would be a three seat ride from center city to NYC, compared to a two seat ride, making the fare more out of convenience and timed connections.

But, it is true, things are looking pretty grim over at SEPTA, and the state will HAVE to chip in and provide the funds.

by Lackawanna484

alewifebp wrote:
But, it is true, things are looking pretty grim over at SEPTA, and the state will HAVE to chip in and provide the funds.
----------------

Don't hold your breath on that. The state hasn't been real helpful to Septa over the decades.

NJ people can complain all they want, but NJT is relatively well supported by the state.

by Lucius Kwok

We'll have to wait until after the elections for the outcome of SEPTA's situation, this year being an election year for state legislators. Most likely there will be an emergency spending bill passed, but they may also ask for some changes at SEPTA in exchange.