Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by EDM5970

I rode the River Line yesterday, for the first time since opening day, and was surprised to see how much trouble people had with the TVMs. I had to show people twice how to use them, and still saw a few people left on the platform. Do you really have to get there ten minutes before train time to figure out how to use the machine?

It looks like the machines are the same ones used on the NEC platform at Trenton, which can sell you just about any class fare to just about any point on the system. But do the River Line TVMs have to be so complicated? There are only a few classes of tickets sold, and only one zone or destination.

Case in point. At Walter Rand, a elderly woman and young child got on the train. The woman stood near the door, and the operator, on the PA, asked her to clear the doorway. The woman stated that she was blind, and was waiting for her daughter to get their tickets.

At this point, knowing that the operator couldn't hear her, I got up and stood in the doorway; the last thing anyone needed was this family group separated and scattered all over South Jersey. Just as I got to the door, the daughter, fighting with the machine on the platform, called for her mother and child to get off the train, they would take the next one.

I can see standardizing the machines from a maintenance and spare parts standpoint, but I think they are confusing to first time or occasional users. Could a clear, simple set of instructions be engraved and put on the front of the machines? How about some sort of faceplate, engraved, that covers all but the two, three or four buttons surrounding the screen that are really needed?

Fortunately, I was able to remember the CSR on Day One, telling me that I had to push the upper left button---
Last edited by EDM5970 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JLo

The TVMs work fine. People just have to get a clue.

by EDM5970

Well, I saw a handful of people Sunday that didn't have a clue; I think it should be made easier, or should have better instructions posted.
  by Mahoot

The only way to make it easier is to have someone buy the ticket for you.
Press the button, put in your $1.10 and wait for the ticket. The validation machine is the tricky part.
  by Head-end View

Ohhhhh..........so I'm not the only one who was confused. My experience this past Sat. mirrored EDM's. One knowledgeable rider explaining it to other people on the platform. JLo is right; people do need to get a clue. But when the machine confuses almost every first time rider, the problem is NOT public ignorance. :(

Again I say NJT should use machines like MTA has been installing on NYC subways and LIRR, (and I assume MetroNorth?). They have an ATM style touch screen and the first step in the process is to press the "START" button!!!!!!!! And it "walks" you through the whole logical process. :D

Mahoot: you were kidding about the validator, right? That's as easy as punching a time clock. Actually, that's what it is......... :wink:

by Irish Chieftain

Mahoot seems to think this is like NJ.com's transit forums. They are not.

No need for sarcasm here; these forums are far friendlier.
  by Mahoot

You are right, I was being sarcastic. I stand corrected. However, the Validation process is what confuses many first time riders.

by Irish Chieftain

I daresay it does. No other form of public transportation requires it. With commuter rail, your ticket comes out already validated, so logically one may ask "why not also with the LRT" since once you buy the ticket, you're going to use it on the next car or train.

by chuchubob

Irish Chieftain wrote: once you buy the ticket, you're going to use it on the next car or train.
I always keep a ticket in my possession in case the train is about to leave when I reach the platform and I don't have time to buy one. I've done this several times when there were lines at the TVMs because the TVMs are confusing to first-time users.

Perhaps somebody should start a thread about how confusing the TVMs can be for first-time users.

by Irish Chieftain

Perhaps somebody should start a thread about how confusing the TVMs can be for first-time users
Look at the first post of the thread.

by JPhurst

Like chuchubob, I always have tickets on hand before I go to the station. (in my case, HBLRT stations). This was less because of difficulty in using the machine, and more because HBLRT machines take a long time to print out tickets. I usually buy them 10 at a time, and when I'm down to one or two left, will get them at the end of my journey.

by NJTKid01

So many complaints on this forum about these stupid TVMs are really driving me crazy, I mean, some of us or maybe all of us have complained to NJT about thids problem. But, have NJT answered to our "DEMANDS/COMPLAINTS" concerning this problem, the answer is NO. If they did, River Line riders shouldn't have these sorts of problems. My solution to the problem is 1 or 2 TVMs on the train, this way passengers could just hop on the train and buy their tickets. Once, they are on the train, they can't say, "oh this machine doesn't work". Because its on the train. But, that's just my soltuion, but you guys could sound off on it.

by JLo

The problem with the TVMs is that first time users find it difficult to use. Soooo, if it is your first time to the River Line, why not get there early and take your time to figure it out? Isn't that just common sense? Once you use the system once, you'll be an old pro.