• RIP Joe Greenstein

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by BMT

got word from a friend today that veteran railroad photographer Joe Greenstein had recently passed away from lung cancer.

I always enjoyed his photo essays of New York area railroading. Of particular note was his large article on the LIRR in Trains magazine that came out last year. (IIRC that may have been his last project).

Joe was a great asset to local-area railfans as he focused almost exclusively on the lesser-known aspects of New York railroading, like his coverage of the New York Cross Harbor, South Brooklyn, and New york & Atlantic railroads. He had a good eye with the camera and recall he did a nice feature on photographing the Astoria Line (N train) of NYCT including scenes with the Hell Gate Bridge (Trains or Railfan mag).

One of his photos is on display at the Transit Museum's Grand Central Terminal Annex as part of the "Many Hands" exhibit.

I believe his passing was noted in the current issue of Railpace.

His fine work will be missed by many. :(

May he Rest In Peace.

by mutz155

I am greatly sad at the passing of Joe. We spent many a day around the railroad helping him get his story and photos. It was nice to work with someone who didnt have an ego problem or worry about what others thought. I will always treasure his kindness.

by Scrap em Again

My condolences to Joes family. Excellent photographer and historian of the NYC/LI railroading scene.

Mutz155 and I helped Joe do a feature for Jan 02' Railfan & Railroad. Joe took a real interest in what we did as the crew of that train. We showed him some places, and pointed out some facts that most railfans would not normally have access to. Wrote a great article about freight in Brooklyn.
  by freightguy

Don't forget Roger helped that article also!