• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Tadman

I don't mean to be a grinch, but what's the point of a "polar express" run with old commuter cars in the dark? You can't see much outside, and inside has all the glamour of the 5:15's high density vinyl seats of 1979...
  by Gerry6309

Tadman wrote:I don't mean to be a grinch, but what's the point of a "polar express" run with old commuter cars in the dark? You can't see much outside, and inside has all the glamour of the 5:15's high density vinyl seats of 1979...
…not to mention that they are not too comfortable, worst in the fleet.
  by Cosmo

Gerry6309 wrote:
Tadman wrote:I don't mean to be a grinch, but what's the point of a "polar express" run with old commuter cars in the dark? You can't see much outside, and inside has all the glamour of the 5:15's high density vinyl seats of 1979...
…not to mention that they are not too comfortable, worst in the fleet.
Because it's a TRAIN RIDE- silly! :P
  by harshaw

My kids (without me) rode the Polar Express out of Hopedale. The Grafton and Upton railroad is a very curious local railroad that has 11 miles of track in somewhat suspicious condition. I am just happy they didn't have any mechanical issues. Locals are really surprised when a train comes through since I think many people think the track is abandoned.

Honestly, the kids were really happy and had a good time.
  by MetroBostonRailways

1508 may be retired soon. I just recently saw it with the 1504 up at BET shoved into extra equipment "consists".
  by sery2831

The 1508 is at BET waiting it's turn for a 2 year inspection. The 1504 is there for derailment damage. The tracks at BET where everything is stored is all mixed. Often cars that have been sitting for a while get called into the shop, and everything gets shuffled around.
  by Screamer 1000

1004 and 1013 have been taken out of storage and are now in the shop. Apparently the HSPs have some serious problems so it will be some time before we bid the screamers farewell
  by ACeInTheHole

1004 has been back for a little while on the wash train.. However the 1013 is new
  by Screamer 1000

1004 and 1013 were just taken off the disabled list. They are now listed as back in service. Would it be reasonal to hope that 1000 is resurrected as well?
  by ck4049

The 1000 has very bad governor drive gears so it will never turn a wheel under it's own power again.
  by Backshophoss

Then 1000 has become a parts donor to keep the rest of the fleet running?
  by bmcdr

As of right now, the 1000-1009-1014, are out back and considered too far gone to be worth fixing. The 1004 has also been shoved out back as a long term, back burner project. The 904 is sidelined with a leak in her fuel tank and shoved out back also as a long term project. Today, the 1005 and 1011, their fuel tanks empty and water drained, were set out next to the NH Division mainline for storage, it doesn't look good for either unit. At the close of the workday, the 1013 was brought out front on Diesel 1, running and considered a Northside spare, ready for the line-up and the 1017 was spotted on the wheel machine to have her wheels turned. I would be very surprised if the early F-40's survive the winter, but stranger things happen.
  by Screamer 1000

bmcdr wrote:As of right now, the 1000-1009-1014, are out back and considered too far gone to be worth fixing. The 1004 has also been shoved out back as a long term, back burner project. The 904 is sidelined with a leak in her fuel tank and shoved out back also as a long term project. Today, the 1005 and 1011, their fuel tanks empty and water drained, were set out next to the NH Division mainline for storage, it doesn't look good for either unit. At the close of the workday, the 1013 was brought out front on Diesel 1, running and considered a Northside spare, ready for the line-up and the 1017 was spotted on the wheel machine to have her wheels turned. I would be very surprised if the early F-40's survive the winter, but stranger things happen.
I'm surprised about 1005 and 1011 weren't they just rebuilt. I thought those ones would last the longest. I saw 1002 the other day and she appers to be going strong
  by ck4049

Screamer 1000 wrote:
bmcdr wrote:As of right now, the 1000-1009-1014, are out back and considered too far gone to be worth fixing. The 1004 has also been shoved out back as a long term, back burner project. The 904 is sidelined with a leak in her fuel tank and shoved out back also as a long term project. Today, the 1005 and 1011, their fuel tanks empty and water drained, were set out next to the NH Division mainline for storage, it doesn't look good for either unit. At the close of the workday, the 1013 was brought out front on Diesel 1, running and considered a Northside spare, ready for the line-up and the 1017 was spotted on the wheel machine to have her wheels turned. I would be very surprised if the early F-40's survive the winter, but stranger things happen.
I'm surprised about 1005 and 1011 weren't they just rebuilt.
Yeah, eight years ago. They were rebuilt by Pan Am so they weren't gonna last too much longer anyway.