• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by zebrasepta

That isn't considered as a delay...

On Topic
RRD: Due to police activity at Market East Station, all trains are operating with delays of at least 20 minutes.
RRD: There is no train service to or from Market East Station at this time.
2 hours ago via web

what happened in Market East today?
  by khecht

I couldn't find much either, aside from this tweet indicating a bomb scare: https://twitter.com/#!/dmuth/statuses/74627587963494400

Of course "police activity" can not only cover that, but it's also what they put up when someone is struck by a train. Perhaps articles to be posted overnight will shed more light.
  by zebrasepta

It was a bomb scare from a luggage that was left unattended...
http://markskull.blogspot.com/2011/05/b ... ation.html
Around 6:45PM, someone alerted SEPTA and police of a suspicious package on the platform of Market East Station. The station was soon evacuated, the police and fire department arriving on the scene to make sure everything was ok. I arrive around 7:40PM to see all the cars and fire trucks, but didn't know what was going on. I went through the entrance on 11th Street to catch my train that was going to leave in about 5 minutes, and was a little shocked the door was open.
  by zebrasepta

RRD: Due to wire problems on the Norristown branch. train #216 scheduled to depart 30th St at 2:20p en route to Elm St. has been canceled.
RRD: Due to wire problems on the Norristown branch. train #223 scheduled to depart Elm St at 3:48p en route to Phila. has been canceled.

More wire-related problems on the Norristown line
  by Matthew Mitchell

There was trouble this afternoon in Center City, presumably around Market East (disabled train?). 6576 had to reverse through Suburban Station on 1 track, then cross over at Broad and come back through on 2. Everything after that was on 2 too.
  by Limited-Clear

Matthew, The reason for that was the West Trenton bombers broke down at Market East, they ended up going back to Powelton Yard (they broke down again at Suburban en-route to Powelton), the Newark bound Bombers were also 30 late last night, those AEM7s are really bad when the temps get high, they are prone to overheating and shutting down, don't forget that small delays in this heat are compounded by the systemwide heat restrictions Septa has when over 90º (not applicable when running on AMTK, they do their own restrictions when deemed necessary)
  by Quinn

I don't know if it resulted in a delay, but 70 just came by on the Media Line pulling 258-261-(not sure)-9012 back into the city.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Thanks, Limited. Always good to hear the whole story.

Do these heat-related failures come without warning? Or are there signs something might be going wrong? If the latter, then it might be helpful for SEPTA to try and get some additional units secondhand so they can pull one out of service if it shows signs of impending failure.
  by zebrasepta

RRD: All Trenton train service is suspended until further notice due to police activity.

RRD: Trenton train service is resuming operations, however, due to continued police activity delays are about 30 minutes each direction.
  by ctrabs74

zebrasepta wrote:RRD: All Trenton train service is suspended until further notice due to police activity.

RRD: Trenton train service is resuming operations, however, due to continued police activity delays are about 30 minutes each direction.
Trespasser struck by NY-bound Amtrak train around 2:00 pm this afternoon (most likely the #666; I saw a Keystone set backing towards 30th St as it passed by Holmesburg) near Torresdale. All SEPTA service suspended until 5:00 pm; Amtrak operated on Phila-bound tracks in both directions.

Service was suspended, un-suspended, then re-suspended. Terrible planning by SEPTA (and yes I know it's Amtrak property, but there's no reason they couldn't have run the R7).
  by ctrabs74

zebrasepta wrote:EDIT: RRD: Services operating outbound to Trenton with delays of up to 30 mins and inbound services delayed up to 90 mins due to police activity.
This was reported to have been a trespasser struck near Bristol, but not able to fully confirm that.
  by rslitman

Quick question:

What is going on this morning, Tuesday, June 7?

Additional information:

I am working from home today and would not normally be checking TrainView. However, just before I left yesterday morning, I checked TrainView from an Internet-enabled mobile device that I left at home in its charger (intentionally). This morning, when I picked up the device to check my email, I noticed that it was still on TrainView, with the constant refreshes done.

Very few trains were listed, and at first, I thought it was from late last night. But then I recognized a few morning train numbers, including 328, shown then as 34 minutes late and originating from University City instead of Elwyn. This train and most of the others were shown in yellow (a condition that I have dubbed "butter on cream cheese"). A few minutes later, after a few more refreshes, 328 was, first, on time and then 2 minutes late. There's no P after the number.

There's no inbound service on the ex-Pennsy side. (Maybe SEPTA doesn't have a bias there after all!) The West Trenton expresses aren't running. Various other West Trenton inbound trains started from other stations - 1 from Noble, another from Langhorne.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Next to Arrive is functioning normally, and I don't see any alerts posted. Looks like the problem is limited to TrainView and not the trains themselves.
  by nomis

@ 8:41am

Trainview is experiencing technical difficulties. All trains are running on or close to schedule.