• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

The old Athol roundhouse of the Boston & Albany's Athol Branch is still standing. The branch was abandoned in 1935 at the time of the construction of the Quabbin Reservoir. Curiously, a quarter-mile or so of the rails are still there, long dormant, heading toward the Athol depot which the line shared with the B&M's Fitchburg main. Adjacent to them, next to the B&M, stands the brick roundhouse, which is now used by a local person for storage. It is accessible, to an extent, by car or by foot; the access is a bit hard to find, and it's barely worth the effort. Unfortunately, the building is surrounded by an industrial fence and a lot of junk. While one can walk right up to it, it's actually far better seen from the other side of the B&M. Contact me if you want directions. I don't know whether the turntable pit is still there; if it is, it's not readily visible.
  by Fritz

Hello,
Just an update: The turntable on the WACR in St. Johnsbury, Vermont is indeed serviceable but is rarely used.
Best,
Fritz
  by kwf

Washington Jct has remnants
44.555215, -68.378831

Bucksport
44.580318, -68.807480

NMJ looks filled in
44.790460, -68.865355

Bangor gone
44.785960, -68.777393

Keag gone
45.516753, -68.350499
  by b&m 1566

I quickly browsed through the thread, it doesn't appear to have been mention yet so... Caribou, ME has a Turntable and Roundhouse that's still in place.
  by arthur d.

Just remembered, the remains of another one in North Conway. Its on the east side of town on the mountain division. Pretty overgrown last time I saw it.
  by arthur d.

I believe you are correct. I can't remember, did the MeC build this or was it a predecessor?
  by arthur d.

Dick H wrote:Portsmouth Engine House and Turntable in 2006, Photo by Stephen Hussar.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=0&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as I know, it is still there, although I have not visited the area.
Probably, a haz-mat cleanup situation preventing the sale of the property
for other uses.

Test driving a bicycle today, found myself beside this one. A little more overgrown, more debris in the pit, the control house in a bit rougher around the edges, but its remarkably the same as it appears in the 2006 image. There's a new brew pub in the building beside it (behind the photographer in this image).