• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NRGeep

I seem to recall hearing about a turntable in Fitchburg?

by TomNelligan

Yes, the B&M had a turntable and roundhouse at the East Fitchburg yard, but the turntable was electric, not Armstrong.
  by highrail

A couple years ago I discovered an old armstrong turntable at North Stratford, NH. I was able to get back up there last sat. to get a couple photos. The lead has been cut from the main, but the turntable is in amazingly good condition. It is not easily seen from the road...the lead is the clue that it is there.

here's a couple shots
  by greenwichlirr

What happened to the recently removed CV TT from White River Jct. at the rebuilt roundhouse? Was it removed intact or was is simply scrapped on-site?
  by Noel Weaver

The turntable at White River Junction was scrapped. I am only aware of two turntables still remaining in use in Vermont, one at Burlington on the Vermont Railway and the other at St. Albans on the New England Central. There might be one at Newport but I am not at all sure about that.
There is also one at Walpole, NH on the Vermont (former Green Mountain, former Boston and Maine). Right across the river from Bellows Falls.
Noel Weaver
  by Reader#108

The one at CSRR....and there is the rebuilt one at the Eastern CT Railroad museum....and at the Waterville shops in Maine...there is one that is filled in around either southern maine or Eastern NH, I will have to look it up and see where it is....
  by Ridgefielder

There's one in Danbury, CT-- the folks at the Danbury Railway Museum rebuilt the NYNH&H turntable in the yard.
  by Mikejf

Reader, is that the one in the South Berwick/Eliot area of Maine, on route 236? The original starting point of the conway Branch?
  by B&M 1227

MBTA commuter trains still regularly use the turntable at Fitchburg, though maybe not in the way you imagined. One of the layover tracks in the Fitchburg yard goes over the turntable bridge though the pit is now filled in.
  by MNCRR9000

Ridgefielder wrote:There's one in Danbury, CT-- the folks at the Danbury Railway Museum rebuilt the NYNH&H turntable in the yard.

I was curious as to status of the turntable at the Danbury Railway Museum have they completed refurbishment of it?
  by Mikejf

Reader#108 wrote:I believe it is....I read about it somewhere....I know that you can distinctly make it out and see where it was filled in...
The one I'm thinking of is not filled in. It has a historical marker next to it to tell which line it was used for and where they went.

Mike
  by steveh

Mike, are you thinking of the turntable in Sanbornville, NH? It's still there. It was brought there from Keene, NH by the Wolfeboro RR.

The turntable in Portsmouth, NH is still there as well...though obviously powered.

Last edited by steveh on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Dick H

I believe there is still a turntable in St. Johnsbury VT.
Can someone from that area confirm? Thanks.