• Regional rail Seating Arrangements/floor plans

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ex Budd man

The floor plan is for the Pioneer (SL-I), not the IIs. Note the car numbers (151,153,155) on the drawing. The IIs had A/C units on both ends and the toilet was on the opposite side. When they were rehabbed the toilet was removed and the room was where the coupler adaptor and destination signs were stored. Not all PRR budds had toilets. Some did not, the area had a seat against the wall with a lift-off cushion where the signs and spares were stored. This resulted in a car fire on car 257 when papers under the seat caught fire and destroyed the car.
One Reading Budd had a wire basket of cast iron brake shoes in the the former toilet room to help level the car after a derailment racked the body beyond the point where normal methods would work. ;-)
  by Push&Pull Master

Wow, cool! This thread came at the right time for me as I have been looking floor plans myself.
  by SubwayTim

I've always hated the idea that SEPTA did away with the "flip-over" (reversible) seats that the Silverliner II's/III's originally had, making half the people on the train ride backwards. With the Silverliner IV's and Arrow II's/III's being nearly identical and built around the same time, I could never understand why the Arrows had the reversible seats, while the Silverliner IV's had the "fixed" seats installed, instead of both (Arrows/Silverliners) having identical interior setups. There are many people (including myself) who HATE having to be forced to ride backwards. I always prefer facing my direction of travel.
  by jackintosh11

I agree, the flipovers were awesome. Not to mention, if you wanted to talk with someone, they were perfect. The Vs would have to have a way to rotate the seats due to their design, but it would be great. The only time I like riding backwards is while looking out the rear window.
  by Limited-Clear

Flip seats were fixed to take away the liability issue of someone hurting themselves when flipping a seat, and before someone says that ridiculous you have to look at it as a law suit prevention reason, there are people out there that just look for easy money, this was one of them
  by nomis

Not to mention, 'walk over' seats wouldn't hold up to 49 CFR § 238.233
  by SubwayTim

Limited-Clear wrote:Flip seats were fixed to take away the liability issue of someone hurting themselves when flipping a seat, and before someone says that ridiculous you have to look at it as a law suit prevention reason, there are people out there that just look for easy money, this was one of them
NJT doesn't seem to have any issues with people hurting themselves with reversing seats and as far as I know, the Arrows have always had them (the "walkover" type, with the seat backs padded on both sides). Also, when the Silverliner IV's were first built in 1974, was Penn Central/SEPTA given the choice of having reversible or fixed seats installed in them? If not, then why did the Arrows come with reversible seats and the Silverliner IV's come with fixed seats???
  by jackintosh11

scotty269 wrote:So, uhh, you answered your own question?
Sort of, but I wanted to see what people could find. I only had those, no silverliner IV seat maps. As for the flipover seats, they were always really cool for me when I was younger and they worked. I got the Silverliner II/III maps from the manuals that were produced after the overhaul. I still don't know why they didn't put a PA system in then.