• Red Sox Victory parade and MBTA service response

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jack615

Yes there will be Providence trains for this Saturday only 10-30. There will be one train leaving Providence at 735 in the morning. But for some reason they dont list a return train.

Jack

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/transit ... eriesTInfo

by ST214

There is a return. It arrives in Providence at 2:42PM.

by efin98

As if things weren't good enough for the MBTA, the parade has been extended into the Charles River probably going about midway between the Longfellow and Mass. Ave. Bridges so Kendall and Charles/MGH should experience overcrowding as well as the Green Line stations along Boylston Street.

by pdxstreetcar

Thats great about the MBTA train from providence. I just heard about it on the news too.

by SnoozerZ49

Friday night
I just gort in from doing late night trips to Providence and to Worcester. The trains are already packed! A lot of kids and a few families came in tonight! Yes most of them were already drunk.

Stay home and watch it on TV!!!
If I could I would :wink:

by nightowl

I took the orange line in from Forest Hills to Mass. Ave. around 9:30 am. My car was crowded but less then rush hour normally is. I watched the parade outside Hynes Convention center and the crowd was no worst then the Marathon. Over-hyping the expected size and scheduling it on a rainy day seemed to really cut down on the numbers.

My car on the Orange Line home was practically empty.

by Ron Newman

I took the Red Line in from Davis around 10:15 and arrived at Charles fifteen minutes later. The train was not at all crowded.

A bunch of us ended up standing on construction materials or equipment inside the Charles rotary. One cop made a weak attempt to get us to leave, but everyone ignored him and nobody bothered us after that. I did worry a bit about safety, since some of us were standing on pipes that would roll around if people weren't careful getting onto and off them.

by Ron Newman

After the parade ended, around 1:30-2 pm, I did see long queues outside North Station, spilling out towards Causeway Street. People wondered why they had to wait for their commuter train in the rain instead of indoors.

by jwhite07

People wondered why they had to wait for their commuter train in the rain instead of indoors.
Anyone who has used North Station during the rush hour on an event night can easily answer that one!

by BC Eagle

I took the D-Line in from Reservoir Station. The first train that came through was the most packed I have ever seen a Green Line Trolley. This is saying alot, as I have been in some tight spots on the Green Line. However, before this train even left, an announcement came over the loud speaker at Reservoir (I've never heard this used by a live person in the 3 years I've been using the station) that trains were boarding on the third platform at Reservoir. It seems that they were boarding new inbound trains direct from the Reservoir yard all morning.

The return trip was much more crowded. I waited for about 10 minutes at Hynes for a D-train that I could actually board, with no luck. However, trains were entering the station about every minute or so. Eventually, I gave up and just got on a C-Line train.

I have to say, overall I was very impressed with how the T handled the extra crowds. As someone joked on a different thread, I wouldn't have been the least bit suprised if they closed the entire Green Line for service, and resorted to bustitution. For once, the T pleasantly suprised me.

by ST214

I took the 6:57 out of Leominster(first train) We were full by South Acton. Had no choice but to keep cramming in people. Arrived at North Station almost 45 min late.

Going home, the schedule had gone out the window. Our train was listed on the board as 1409, but we levt about 1:15 before 1409 was carded out. Must have been Advanced 1409.

John, i hear you were possibly going to the parade. Did you go?? Where were you??

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

My cousin and i ended up driving to the North Quincy station, we arrived there at 15 of 4 AM. We thought the station would be crowded, but we were the first ones there!!! the first red line train came at 530 and it was already packed from the previous stops. Over all, the MBTA ran the service great, there were always trains arriving

by nightowl

Smooth ride on MBTA and roads
"By the end of the day, however, about 1 million people used the MBTA system -- far more than an average Saturday but just under the 1.1 million people who use transit on an average weekday."

by Ken W2KB

Here in New Jersey I watched the festivities on WSNK via Dishnet satelite and once in a while it was mentioned that E line service was suspened and the LRV equipment sent to augment serivice on the other 3 Green lines.

by RailBus63

My son and I rode the Green Line in from Beacon St. to Copley (3500 inbound, 3510 outbound). Went in at about 6:30 a.m. - no problems at all, plenty of room on the car. After the parade passed, we walked down to Fenway Park, then eventually over to Fenway station on the D. The crowd was overflowing the outbound platform, so we walked on over to St. Mary's St. on the C. There were only a few people there, and we were able to squeeze onto the LRV.

I feel sorry for those Sox fans who were scared off from attending due to the ridiculous '5 million' estimates on Friday. I traveled 300 miles from upstate New York to be there - I waited three decades for a Red Sox championship, and there was no way I was missing that parade!

JD