• Red Mill Inn- Clarence, NY-Sold

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

I just drove passed the Red Mill Inn restaurant and noticed a foresale sign out front. But as I continued to drive passed it, I noticed that the passneger cars are gone. I searched the web to find out what happened to them but nothing came up. The only thing I could find was that they were up for sale [auction] or to be scrapped. From some of the reviews about the restaurant, I can almost assume they were scrapped.

Anybody have have some inside info on these two cars?
  by BR&P

What about the wooden caboose, NYC 19682? That had been there since at least 1971.
  by SST

My Brother In Law just replied to me and he tells me that they were scrapped a couple of weeks ago. He also told me that only the caboose was open and wind was getting through. That was 10 years ago.
  by Old & Weary

Diners were UP 3603 and 3615 delivered by rail to the siding in Clarence in July 1972.
  by BR&P

Anybody been there as a customer? Was the caboose gutted out inside, or still original?
  by 161pw165

I ate there many times and never had a bad meal. Prime rib Mondays were pretty good. That said, I did eat in the passenger car - less than a comfortable experience. The diner was closed off and used for storage. I can't recall the caboose ever being open.
  by terminalfanatic

The UP coaches were sold for scrap and torched apart on site. The former NYC caboose was luckily sold (for $500) and relocated to become and ice Cream stand in Orchard Park and hopefully will open in the spring of 2016.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmrWr3v

...Flickr album of the demise of the coaches.
  by SST

Thanks for the pics. I must have driven by about a day or two after the scrapping. Glad the caboose survived.
  by smph50

Hi Guys!

I had a chance last week to stop and photograph NYC19682 at its new home at 2783 Southwestern Blvd, Orchard Park, NY 14127. The new owners have made it into a museum of sort but it was closed when I was there.

All of the metal and most of the siding has been painted except for a section around the NYC herald. Kind of neat to see the old with the new.

If the stenciling is authentic, the last COT&S was in 1966. Nice to see it is being well taken care of.

S' Scott

Last edited by smph50 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BR&P

Thanks for the update! While I cringe at the modifications, it's way better than getting scrapped. And I'll give the owners very high marks for deliberately preserving a bit of its heritage with the reporting marks and herald. Image