• Red Line Collision

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

Just got home and turned on the news, and this one looks bad - far worse than the collision at Shady Grove. It looks like a whole carbody has been lifted up in the air as another train collided with it.

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1702179

Reporters are confirming at least one fatality. My prayers to the families of the victims and first responders on the scene.
  by realtype

Yeah, I'm watching it now, apparently 3 are dead.

Update: 2 confirmed dead, with many injured. Accident occured just north of the New Hampshire Ave crossing. MARC Brunswick Line trains (which use adjacent CSX tracks) have been cancelled DC-Rockville.
Last edited by realtype on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by chrsjrcj

Isn't the subway supposed to be automatically controlled? Aren't there safety systems that would prevent 2 trains entering the same area?
  by HokieNav

There are - reports conflict right now as to whether this was a head-on or rear-end collision.

I suspect that it'll be some time before we get any real facts on this, but the pictures on the local news are quite impressive - the article I linked to in the first post has been updated with a picture.
  by farecard

They were single-tracking at the time, making it a head-on collision. WMATA is entirely a 2-track system; so any time track maint. is needed the line must be single-tracked, or shutdown. They usually do NOT single-track for track repairs during rush-hour, but that's irrelevant to this event.
  by HokieNav

More recent reporting has witnesses that say that the trains were moving in the same direction - I think that it's too early to be making any absolute statements like that.
  by tommyboy6181

I have additional info on my post MAJOR RED LINE ACCIDENT **HAPPENING NOW** link being updated as available
  by farecard

[quote="HokieNav"]More recent reporting has witnesses that say that the trains were moving in the same direction - I think that it's too early to be making any absolute statements like that.[/quote]

GM Catoe was interviewed on the scene and confirmed the single-track operation...of course, that's subject to charge...

update:
Catoe now says that there was a single-track movement going on, to pass a stopped train/breakdown of some kind. The second train did strike the rear of the stopped first train. The operator of the second train was one of the fatalities.
Last edited by farecard on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by tommyboy6181

7:05pm WUSA: DCFD is now reporting as many as 4 fatalities from the accident. This would make it the deadliest accident since the Federal Triangle accident.
  by TallEddie_81

NBC4 in DC just confirmed the trains were traveling in the same direction. And the driver in the train that read ended the train it was following was a female and one of the confirmed fatalities.
  by HokieNav

TallEddie_81 wrote:NBC4 in DC just confirmed the trains were traveling in the same direction. And the driver in the train that read ended the train it was following was a female and one of the confirmed fatalities.
WUSA's carrying the same press conference. Other info includes 2 more patients triaged "red" w/ life threatening injuries.
  by HokieNav

tommyboy6181 wrote:I have additional info on my post MAJOR RED LINE ACCIDENT **HAPPENING NOW** link being updated as available
Why don't we keep it all to one thread, rather than make us go back and forth?
  by TallEddie_81

HokieNav wrote: Why don't we keep it all to one thread, rather than make us go back and forth?
That would be the common sense approach, and we all know common sense doesn't always prevail.

I started following the only thread, at the time, that had some replies. I am sure a MOD will come along and clean it up, since there are about 4 thread right now about the same thing.
  by pnaw10

WUSA is streaming its broadcast live on the web, for anyone outside of the DC area who wants to watch (as of 7:30pm):
I'm watching in Windows Media Player, not sure what other players are compatible. It's an ASX file.

http://mfile.akamai.com/22330/live/refl ... 181&prop=n
  by TallEddie_81

What type of train control system is in place to prevent this from happening? I know that the Metro trains are controlled by computer and essentially operate by themselves, and the operator pretty much just operates the doors, unless the train is in a manual mode.

From reading this forum I know that freight trains can pass a stop signal, and still be able to proceed, albeit at a restricted speed. How do the safety systems on freight rails compare to the WMATA system.