• REB Class-13

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by queenlnr8

On the old Silverliner II's, this caption appears on some of the end doors. Can someone tell me what this means?
  by Urban D Kaye

queenlnr8 wrote:On the old Silverliner II's, this caption appears on some of the end doors. Can someone tell me what this means?
Am told that REB = Reading Electric Budd.
I believe Class 13 is just a Budd designation for that series of m.u.
Will check on this tho.

by R3 Rider

That's a question that I've been meaning to post for the longest time, but never remembered to.

I wondered if the "R" in "REB-13" had something to do with the Reading, since I've only seen it on the cars in the 9000 range (which I remember reading somewhere that those were ex-Reading cars).

by blueduck577

I have noticed the ex-Reading Silverliner IIs have a rectangular window on the cab door, but the ex-Pennsy have a round one. Why the difference?
  by benrussellpa

Urban D Kaye wrote:
queenlnr8 wrote:On the old Silverliner II's, this caption appears on some of the end doors. Can someone tell me what this means?
Am told that REB = Reading Electric Budd.
I believe Class 13 is just a Budd designation for that series of m.u.
Will check on this tho.

The REB-13 designation is a leftover from the Reading RR. This was the Reading's designation for this equipment. I have been looking high and low for any notes I might have on exactly what "REB" stood for. I know I posed this question to someone several years ago. I have yet to find the old answer.

Ben R

by glennk419

The Reading used similar classifications on the rebuilt Blueliners as well as its' RDC's and road diesels in the 60's. The RDC's were designated RDB (Reading Diesel Budd), while the diesels locos were designated RSA (Alco), RSE (EMD) and RSG (GE), typically with a suffix of 14. According to an article in an old modeling magazine I dug out, "RS" stood for Road Switcher while the "1" designated MU capability and the "4" meant that they were equipped with two way radios. I still cannot find what the "3" would have meant though.

by RDG-LNE

The 3 indicates the particular piece of equipment is equipped with cab signals. I believe the REB was Road Electric Budd. The RDG late in life broke its fleet in to classes that way: RSE, RSG...etc..The first letter was its service (Road, Passenger), the second (if it had one) was for either it's propulsion method or specific assignment, and the final the builder (GE, EMD, Budd).

Drew

by Urban D Kaye

So to put all this info together...

R = Road
E = Electric
B = Budd
1 = MU Capable
3 = Cab Signal Equipped

by Urban D Kaye

Was up in Temple, Pa recently and noticed that their RDC is lettered with "RDB Class 13"

"D" = diesel.

by Springfield Tripper

...and the Blue Gooses were class RER-13, to finish out the list.

Garry
  by Readingblueliner

The Blue Painted Blueliners were classified " RER, I forgot what that meant
  by amtrakhogger

Readingblueliner wrote:The Blue Painted Blueliners were classified " RER, I forgot what that meant
How about "R-Reading, E-Electric, R-Rebuild?" That owing to the fact that
the Blues were rebuilt in 1964.