• Readville Switcher 1921

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the MBTA is planning to get rid of the readville switcher, 1921, they are going to use the new GP40 (i don't know what it is) that is getting a paint job as the new switcher

by octr202

I was just about to post something about the 1921. I noticed on NE Transit's roster that it was listed as stored out of service. Does anyone know if it failed, or is it just being retired?

NET also listed 904 as OOS -- leaving the T with only one work engine. Wonder how long that will last -- I assume they'll just use GP40's to fill in?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

904 is back in service as of today and the 1921 is pretty much dead. the MBTA person i spoke with today said that the electrical system in the switcher is gone and that they are going to get rid of it

by jrc520

are they going to paint another switcher like it?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i don't know if it will be the same paint scheme, but remember the MBTA sent a loco to New Hampshire (i believe) to get repainted, that loco is going to be the new switcher for the MBTA

by ST214

It went to Maine for paint. Have heard that it is either still im Maine, or inside BET, but whereever it is, it's under a tarp.

by Robert Paniagua

Will it be coming back this way, or is it gonna go to a museum?

by octr202

Sounds like 1921 is a write off. I once had the pleasure of working on a GP-7 with electrical (and air) problems -- when 40 or 50 year old electrical components start failing, its not easy to fix. Was 1921 ever rebuilt at all in its lifetime?

I wonder how long 902 and 904 will last? I am under the impression that they are effectively much newer engines, as they were rebuilt for SEMTA.

Its probably time for the T to look for one or two more GP40's -- certainly it would provide nice mechanical standardization with the passenger fleet. Maybe rebuild a couple of the fried 40MC's? :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the MBTA guy i was with said they are giving it away to an charity or something
Last edited by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by GP40MC1118

The "retirement" of the 1921 was pretty much a forgone conclusion after
the arrival of the GP40 3247.

The 904 was recently revived for the Northside Work Train, while the
902 gets to work the Readville Switcher.

Whether the 3247 goes to the Readville Switcher is open to debate,
since the Engineering Department had a lot to do with getting it and
wants it for the Northside Work Train.

No word on when the 3247 comes home from Waterville, Maine.

Dave

by Robert Paniagua

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I Hate Ads, the MBTA guy i was with said they are giving it away to an charity or something
Ok sorry about that then, I missed that part. So looks like its bound for a charity then, instead of going to Seashore or something..... Seashore could have used that engine to pull some of their trolleys along :-)

by jwhite07

For the life of me I can't fathom why a charity would possibly want or need a locomotive...

by efin98

maybe not a charity but a nonprofit railway museum perhaps?

by octr202

Probably only Danbury or Conn. Eastern would be interested in it -- aren't they the only sizable reailroad museums in New England? This is probably the first time that the T's had railroad equipment up for donation. This one can't exactly go to Seashore like everything else!

by CSX Conductor

NET also listed 904 as OOS -- leaving the T with only one work engine. Wonder how long that will last -- I assume they'll just use GP40's to fill in?
The 902 was in service in South Station area last week.