• Random stops inside tunnel

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by CSXTfan

I get on at any station (depends where i've been)
Train departs shortly later
Inside of tunnel between stations cars start to bounce
Train slows to a stop
Starts moveing shortly afteer that.

That is how my ride usely gose on the metro. since i do not like the metro system with the lot of its derailments i get really nervose and startlooking around to try and get a good feel of my suroundings with moste the riders with comfertable looks on their faces.
Is it just me or are their derailments on my train every time im on the system??

PS. Look for me in what ever car your in when this happens. :P
  by tommyboy6181

I get on at any station (depends where i've been)
Train departs shortly later
Inside of tunnel between stations cars start to bounce
Train slows to a stop
Starts moveing shortly afteer that.

That is how my ride usely gose on the metro. since i do not like the metro system with the lot of its derailments i get really nervose and startlooking around to try and get a good feel of my suroundings with moste the riders with comfertable looks on their faces.
Is it just me or are their derailments on my train every time im on the system??
No derailments on your train every time you're in the system, or at least I hope not. The bouncing- don't worry about it as it is completely normal to see the trains do this. All of this is just the rubber chevron/air bag suspensions working to help keep the trains comfortable and level as possible on the rails. If you sit near the front or back railfan windows and there is a car coupled right next to it, it is very common to see the cars appear to bounce or tilt side to side. You'll see this no matter what system you are on. I have even noticed that on APM type systems in Las Vegas at McCarran Airport and in Atlanta at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Here is a good video where I think this is what you were talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AxLaA7N ... D&index=49

I have noticed random stopping on the Red and Green lines before as these are the primary lines I ride when I am in DC. I know this happens on the Blue/Orange lines between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom-GWU due to capacity. The Metro as you may know uses automatic train control (ATC) and automatic train stopping (ATS) systems. The random stopping you experience is most likely due to a train occupying the following signal block or at the station platform ahead. If a train becomes too close (approaching the next moving signal block), the signalling system will then stop a train in the tunnel until the following block is cleared. Then, the signal system allows the train to proceed. That is probably the simplest way to explain how ATC/ATS works. I'm sure other people in this forum can go into more detail with it.
  by SchuminWeb

Pretty good, though since the accident, all trains are being run manually with ATP. That regulates speed and train spacing, but the operators actually control the train's movements.

Often times, the train operators will announce why they're stopped, like having a red signal ahead of them, or a train already on the platform. As tommyboy6181 mentioned, this is normal, and more of an inconvenience than anything else.