• RAILROAD.NET Members Gathering

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

dcm74 wrote:Be sure to bring a baby stroller so you can try to whack Otto in the knees.
Well played, sir. Well played.

-otto-
  by markhb

Congratulations, steamer!

I doubt very much I will make it to Springfield/Amherst anytime soon, but I'll keep watching this thread for possibilities (maybe CSRX if it's spring/summer). If anyone's interested in a meetup in the Portland area I might have a few location ideas.
  by Eliphaz

I'll certainly be at the Amherst show at the big E in January, generally try to meet friends.
it sounds like alot of us have been getting together there without knowing it for years.

Would we perhaps try to take over a local tavern after the show ?
there's a not bad place down the road in Agawam called "The Still" where there is ample parking at least, and food as well as a good tap.

Id also be interested in a meet up in SE Maine next spring or summer. I generally make at least one pilgrimage to the trolley museum every year.
  by steamer69

Eliphaz wrote:Would we perhaps try to take over a local tavern after the show ?
there's a not bad place down the road in Agawam called "The Still" where there is ample parking at least, and food as well as a good tap.
Now there's something that the career guys and the foamers can agree on....good beer. As Benjamin Franklin (very wise man) once said

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"......

I'm all for taking over a location with good food and some good beer.
  by b&m 1566

The Holy Grail in Epping, NH has a very good beer selection and a lot more choices than some pubs offer. The food is good too.
  by steamer69

b&m 1566 wrote:The Holy Grail in Epping, NH has a very good beer selection and a lot more choices than some pubs offer. The food is good too.
Sounds good to me!
  by Reader#108

Maybe we should go to the Wiseguy joint at Union Station in Worcester....

We'll all get dressed up in 1940's Mafia outfits and go sit down with butts hanging out of

our mouths......and watch as all the commuters come off the train from Boston and

PW and CSX run freight through.....we can find a hot red headed dame and hire Alan Hale

and remake "Johnny Dangerously" while we are down there....LOL

But seriously.....anywhere is good for me, I dont mind some travel as it may very well take

me to or near a railroad or covered bridge or something that I have never seen before!

Luciano's Cotton Club is name I think......shweethart! LOL
  by mbhoward

b&m 1566 wrote:The Holy Grail in Epping, NH has a very good beer selection and a lot more choices than some pubs offer. The food is good too.
Works for me too.
  by b&m 1566

I'm game for it, if anyone wants to meet up between now and Christmas (before winter really sets in).
  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:We'll all get dressed up in 1940's Mafia outfits...
I'm game. I'll make sure I bring my extra hat ;)
  by BostonUrbEx

I'd say Worcester or Lowell would probably be the best as far as a centralized New England location. Rail access for any of the people within the MBTA's far reaching net, and decent road access from just about anywhere else.
  by steamer69

So has anyone taken the "Switch List" on this and decided if we are all going to meet up? R.T.?
  by MEC407

I'm not at all familiar with the Massachusetts locations that have been suggested, so I'd be more comfortable leaving coordination of that gathering to someone who is from that area. If anyone wants to get together in Maine or seacoast New Hampshire, I'd be happy to help coordinate that. (That would probably be in addition to, not in lieu of, the Massachusetts gathering.)
  by jaymac

A word or more about driving in downtown Lowell, should that be the gathering spot: Anyone caught in an intersection is at risk of getting an expensive and legally binding autograph. In my case, the charge was running a red light -- not the case -- and the ticket expense and insurance surcharge are reminders to be exceptionally aware and cautious while navigating in that city.
  by mxdata

I don't quite see the point of holding an event in a larger city unless there are a lot of members who cannot drive a car and therefore need public transportation. The Steaming Tender in Palmer is a much more interesting location than downtown Worcester or Lowell and they generally have plenty of seating capacity in the middle of the afternoon.

MX