• Railroad job titles

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by ashley2771

What are the general functions of the following jobs and where do they stand in hierarchy of the railroad?

yardmaster
trainmaster
terminal trainmaster
road foreman of engines
TSC
  by SRS125

ashley2771 wrote:What are the general functions of the following jobs and where do they stand in hierarchy of the railroad?

yardmaster
trainmaster
terminal trainmaster
road foreman of engines
TSC
The Yard Masters job is to over see all operations of the yard. He controls movements such as arrivals and departers of all trains in and around the area. Keeps a detailed recored of cars and locomotives with in the yard.

A Trainmaster is responsable for the operations of the locomotives assigned to his yard. Things such as upkeep, inspection, and Operations. They are responsable for the make up and break down of trains set up times for departing trains and Geting Crew Men to and from there trains on a safe timeley manner.

A Road Formen is a maintaince guy who is incharge of a serten strech of track that he must keep in shape. Things such as inspection of the rails and ties, clearing of trees and high weeds growing along or on the railbed that might block the view of a train or cause a crewmen to get hurt. They also control train speeds in work areas by issueing speeds.

by clearblock

The Yardmaster is resposible for "safe and efficient operation of the yard". Most rulebooks state that the Yardmasters report to and receive instructions from the Trainmaster or Chief Train Dispatcher. Movement in the yard is under the direction of the Yardmaster. Movement on main tracks or outside of yard limits is under the direction of the Train Dispatcher.

The Trainmaster is the immediate supervisor of Conductors and Trainmen in the crew district or a terminal area in the case of a "Terminal Trainmaster".

The "Road Forman of Engines" (not to be confused with "Roadmaster" who is in charge of Maintenance of Way) is the supervisor of Engineers particularly concerning qualifications and operating practices but Engineers also take direction from the Conductor and Trainmaster

I am not familiar with "TSC" as a job title.

by Engineer

I'm just waiting for this thread to turn into Engineer vs. Conductor.....

by ashley2771

Thanks for the info. I've got the engineer/conductor distinction down pretty good- thanks!

by GN 599

Where I work a Roadmaster is the person in charge of a portion of right away. A Road Foreman is a Road Foreman of Engines and is kind of similar to a trainmaster as far as rank of official. The Road foreman of engines does check runs with student engineers, they deal with the power desk and he is the guy that tells you if have been stretch braking too much (pesky autoscan).