• Railroad Crossing: FREE PARKING!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

Today Todd and I were driving all around western MA and, as usual, ended up near Hoosac Tunnel. Well, on the way home, we saw all the kayakers out in force.

We took a road in Charlemont that goes over a Guilford crossing. Right next to the tracks was a group of cars and people. Not sure why they were there, but they were definitely kayakers, and they looked clueless as usual.

Why am I mentioning this on a railroad forum?

Because one car was parked ON the tracks in the crossing. ON them, with a person sitting in the passenger seat, and no driver.

ON the tracks...

by b&m 1566

Did you tell them that it was not a good idea to do that?

by Robert Paniagua

I think that was a silly idea Jonelle, not you, but for that person you and Todd saw. I just hope those weren't active tracks, if they were, they should have parked a good 20 feet from the tracks, which is ample safe distance for the train and motor vehicle.

by CSX Conductor

Next time be sure to have a video camera handy. It would be cool footage when the engineer notches it out. LOL. :P

by Otto Vondrak

Yes, the suspense is killing us. What happened? Did you call GRS or the local PD?

-otto-

by NellsChoo

No, we didn't make a phone call. Probably should have. We were in an orange Mustang, and had we been in the ex-CT cuiser, maybe we could have just said to them through a window that parking there is a biiiig no-no.

Funny, though, local and state cruisers were speeding up and down rt2! Though I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with those people... unless someone reported them hanging around the tracks.

Guilford traffic is so light, odds are that car was moved before anything ever came... But I still can't get over the fact they actually PARKED there!!!

JD
  by SpecialK

The Deerfield and some of its tributaries in Charlemont/environs are VERY popular with the kayaking/whitewater rafting crowd during the spring, summer, and any time there is a release.

I've gone down the Deerfield a few times (rafting the upper, canoeing the lower), but have never seen anyone actually parked on a crossing, with no driver in the seat. Common sense might dictate that clean, shiny rails, and a well-ballasted roadbed MIGHT mean the railroad's in use quite a bit. But, that takes common sense.

Nevertheless, it probably wouldn't have hurt to give a friendly reminder (I realize it's difficult sometimes to contain one's feelings while witnessing a "stupid is as stupid does" act)..... but maybe you could have spoken their language while passing along that friendly warning, in a thick New England accent....

"Hey theah..... do you realize you're pahhked on a Class VI grade crossing? Uh, huh..... Ye-ah..... Very dang-ahh--ous. You might want to pull off and ovah to the side to scout it out first. Nevah know when a big obstruction might appeah......

:wink:

by NellsChoo

HAHAHAAA!! Ayah!

etc

by Noel Weaver

Guilford or otherwise, I hate to think of the agony and aggravation that
the crew on the engine of the train that hit that car and perhaps killed
somebody would go through all because you "didn't bother to do the
right thing and report it to authorities".
OH WELL.
Noel Weaver
  by SpecialK

.....thankfully, nothing happened this time, and I think the emphasis has already been made that the correct thing to do next time is give a friendly warning and THEN call the authorities if the vehicle is not moved after the warning. I am NOT disagreeing with you, Noel; with all your years of railroad experience, you are correct to bring up the fact that the railroad crew goes through a horrible experience with such incidents.

Unfortunately, some people just don't have situational awareness, or common sense (there are other ways to describe this, that I won't write here..... :P ) so educate them first to the situation, and if you're given a hard time, just call the authorities. All of us should do this the next time. Unless, you're CSX Conductor, who would simply.... "notch it out......" :wink:
  by NellsChoo

Noel Weaver wrote:...all because you "didn't bother to do the
right thing and report it to authorities".
OH WELL.
Noel Weaver
Excuse me?

I guess you want me to turn back time and go warn them? We knew there wasn't a train in the area. Had there been one, we would HAVE to have said something. But there wasn't. And if they got hit, it wouldn't be OUR responsibility. They were adults who decided to park on railroad tracks. If they were that stupid, I don't think a warning would mean much to them.

So don't start placing blame on me.

PS: And I am well aware of the effects such event have on train crews. I have started a couple of threads here about the topic.

by BrianS

If your that stupid to park somewhere like that, then, well I guess you deserve to be hit by a train.

Today on our run, I counted 4, yes people that FOUR cars or trucks that either stopped then went after the lights came on, or went when the gates came down on them

-so sorry, I have ZERO sympathy for those people

Brian- conductor on a regional railroad

P.S> And NO its nobody's responsibilty to tell somebody that they may be in harms way, I dont care how die hard of a foamer you are. If they want to park there, let them. maybe they buddies learn from the lesson.

by BrianS

I forgot to say.
In engineers school, they are taught to not put the train into emergency even if we are sure we are going to hit a car. Only go into emergency AFTER you hit it. That car may move at the last second or you might miss it. Then you went into the hole for nothing and not having any control over a 8000 ton train is scary. Once you dump it, you risk putting cars all over the ground behind you

Brian
  by SpecialK

Even if you are a conductor on a regional railroad and have that to your credit. While I agree with you in that I also have zero tolerance for "stupid is as stupid does" folks, I think - - depending on the situation, the person should be warned, and then the authorities should be called. No sense in having a tragic accident happen all the way around, especially if it can be prevented.

Now, in your situation where folks stop at a grade crossing with lights flashing, bells ringing, and/or with gates, know the train is coming and then proceed - - well, you can't warn them as they've decided to take the risk. If they lose, too bad. In that situation, the engineer really can't do much, even at slow speeds. And, as you say, losing control of your train and putting cars on the ground can have immense consequenses.

By the way, in my previous post when I made reference to "educating" people, I didn't necessarily mean that one had to be particularly nice about it.... again, depends on the situation.

by CSX Conductor

BrianS wrote:I forgot to say.
In engineers school, they are taught to not put the train into emergency even if we are sure we are going to hit a car. Only go into emergency AFTER you hit it. That car may move at the last second or you might miss it. Then you went into the hole for nothing and not having any control over a 8000 ton train is scary. Once you dump it, you risk putting cars all over the ground behind you

Brian
I believe the same is true about trespassers.

Special K: I was joking about the "notch it out" bit. But if people are foolish enough to park on the tracks, that is not my fault.