Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Srnumber9

Great Quote!

Maybe Trotsky would have lived longer had he thought more about axes than knives!

(Hanging around with Stalin was plenty hazardous.....)

Hey!, what are all the no-photo folks going to do about the cell phones with cameras in them? One moment somebody is talking on their Cell (like half the world does these days), the next minute they take a quick look for security, snap a picture and the deed is done!

What's next, no phones?
  by Paul

Borrowed from: www.kirjasto.sci.fi/trotsky.htm

Lev Davidovich Bronstein (Leon Trotsky) was born in Yanovka, Ukraine, as the son of an illiterate Jewish farmer. Trotsky's father, David Bronshtein, had bought land near the small town of Bobrinets, and eventually he became a substantial landowner. During the revolution he lost his estate, but Trotsky set him up as the manager of a flour mill near Moscow. Trotsky's mother, Anna, came from Odessa, where she had received a modest education. "We were not deprived, except of life's generosity and tenderness", Trotsky later said. His mother loved to read to her eight children and encouraged them to acquire a good education. She died in 1910. Only Lev, two sisters and a brother survived beyond childhood. After Trotsky was deported in 1929, his brother Alexander publicly disowned him, but he was shot in 1938. Liza, Trotsky's elder sister, died in 1924. Trotsky's younger sister Olga married an influential Bolshevik leader, Lev Kamenev, but she was shot in 1941. Her two young sons were shot in 1936.
From 1925 to 1926 Trotsky held relatively minor administrative post, before he was ousted from the party by Stalin. In 1927 Trotsky was exiled to Alma Ata, in Kazakstan, where he devoted himself to writing his memoirs and bitter pamphlets. The 'combined opposition' of Trotsky, Grigory Zinoview, and Lev Kamenev was unsuccessful. In 1929 Trotsky was totally expelled from the Soviet Union. With this stroke Stalin became the sole and undisputable leader of the Communist Party, and therefore of the Soviet Union.
In 1938 Trotsky and his followers founded the Fourth International. During the Great Purge (1934-38), a wave of terror by which Stalin aimed at eliminating the opposition, Trotsky was accused of espionage. A supposed family friend, Jacques van den Dreschd, wounded Trotsky mortally on August 21, 1940 with an ice pick.

"The vengeance of history is more terrible than the vengeance of the most powerful General Secretary." (from Stalin, 1946)

by Srnumber9

Ice Pick?

Hmmm..I heard Axe. (Curse You History Channel!)

Talk about going off topic.....

by SeldenJrFireman

I found this on the MTA Long Island Railroad website:

Section 1050.9>Restricted areas and activities>Section "C" states the following:

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provision of these Rules.

If I can't use a tripod, I'll just have to grab a garbage can. I think most of us have been following his rule and I feel we shouldn't be attacked for following rules that have been clearly defined. I think that this page should be printed so that you can show the MTA popo right there that his/her employer said you can legally be there.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

by emfinite

At night when I need a flat surface to put my camera and to get a steady shot, I always use the garbage can - and I never use flash or tripod.

If we just print out that part of the MTA website and carry it in our back pocket, I'm sure we'll have no trouble once it's shown to an MTA officer.

Joe
  by Head-end View

Well, maybe we should search every car entering every railroad station parking lot too, just in case. Ya' never know, right?

I had to laugh Monday (yesterday) as I walked through Mineola station, watching trains on my afternoon break from work. There was a guy standing on the westbound platform right by the pedestrian overpass with camera poised for a good shot. Tall white male, wearing a black coat and baseball cap. This was about 3:50 PM. Was that anyone we know here?

by RRChef

Quoting Trotsky as a comparision to my SUV?? This thread is rapidly slipping into the absurb!

by Srnumber9

I think he's making the old argument that sometimes the best way to hide something is to put it in plain sight. So if you are a terrorist, the best strategy would be to look like you belonged there, doing what people are supposed to be doing.

BTW, I checked. Most websights I found on the subject said that Trotsky was sent on to the next world with an ice axe, or pick if you like. So we were both right.
  by Paul

Pete: My comparison of your SUV (I own three) and the quote from Trotsky was not a slam at your or your SUV. When I wish to hide at work, or stall and kill time, I sit and chat with the foreman, then I will go chat with the manager. They don't have a clue why I can be so friendly at times. Who would suspect a man (or woman) who is a member of the local PTA, kids in little league, to be a threat? So, what is really in the big box camera? How many pounds of C-4 could I pack into a Crown Grafflex 4X5? Who would even suspect?

by JoeLIRR

Already prinded the info from the site. I dont use any of the devices they mention & i dont use a flash.

It seems to me that im not violiating the poloicy...

However knowing the MTA the policy has been changed in there rule book but not changed where the public would find out. they would do shit like that. after all they (MTA) hate railfans.

by SeldenJrFireman

At least we have something to argue with them about who is in the right and who's wrong. It is the first step towards the Railfan Revolution! :)

by JoeLIRR

I agree, a railfan revolution, after all since we all know that technology will always win out, railfanning will soon (hopfullly not now) be all magleves and other out of this world contraptions. as i see it lets enjoy the railroads before they are gone forever. (tho we have many years to go :wink: )

by RRChef

Paul
no offense taken. I actually thought it was quite an intelligent response to my post. You don't see Trotsky quoted in public often and to find that quote on a railfan site is more unusual. I'm sure that there are a few readers here who are still scratching their heads from that one! :)

by Paul

Even in the past there have been times when photographing trains was a no-no. From what I have heard, it was VERY bad to be out taking photographs during World War Two. I heard war time photographic restrictions on Long Island were the reason that so few pictures of the PRR L1 2-8-2 that were leased to the LIRR were ever taken. Somehow, we managed to over come and adapt. It's just as bad out here on the west coast.
  by Head-end View

You're right Paul. I still have a photo that my Dad (who was a photography buff) took back then of the lift bridges by the Harrison, N.J. PATH Station(then Hudson & Manhattan RR) Years later my Mom told me that they were approached by railroad police that day, and instructed to stop taking photos. So there you are. WW II lasted 4 years. I wonder how many years our current problems will last.