• Railfanning Amtrak IN New York City

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by njtmnrrbuff

Where are there good places to railfan Amtrak within the New York City limits, especially on the Westside Line. What about the Hellgate Line in the Pelham Bay Pk area? Thank you.
  by BuddSilverliner269

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Where are there good places to railfan Amtrak within the New York City limits, especially on the Westside Line. What about the Hellgate Line in the Pelham Bay Pk area? Thank you.
I have never railfanned the West Side line, although while I had to qualify the line from Penn to CP12, I have noticed there are parks along the railroad between the tracks and the river up near the GW bridge. Also in Astoria you can easily see the train cross the Hell Gate from the N train elevated station which is literally in the shadows of the bridge,It looks like theres parks under the bridge at the river. I hope this helps just alil bit and wish I could be more help.
  by Gilbert B Norman

After viewing Mr. Vogel's photogrpahs, it surely appears that Manhattan was one idyllic setting back when Peter Stuyvesant struck his "$26 deal".
  by Noel Weaver

At one time I think there was a sidewalk on the east side of the Tri Boro Bridge and if that is still the case, I would think you
could get shots on the Hell Gate Line that would be quite good. I suggest a ride over the bridge in a motor vehicle first to
look things over. Maybe somebody on here knows for sure about this situation and if it is still possible.
Noel Weaver
  by njtmnrrbuff

Thank you for the reccomendations. However, taking pics from the Triborough bridge, as from the other river crossings, is prohibited, I think.
The Hellgate Bridge is best photographed, I think, from the N subway station at Ditmars Blvd.
  by Otto Vondrak

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Where are there good places to railfan Amtrak within the New York City limits, especially on the Westside Line
The Empire Connect is mostly obscured below 125th Street... Maybe if you got a flat tire on the Henry Hudson Parkway... There's a pedestrian overpass at 138th Street, maybe from the 145th Street overpass. Go check out the satellite view in Google Maps and you'll see some possible vantage points.
What about the Hellgate Line in the Pelham Bay Pk area? Thank you.
Go to the park in Astoria for views of the Hell Gate Bridge. You can also photograph the Little Hell Gate Bridge from the sidewalk from the Triboro Bridge approach on the Bronx side.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I won't be driving, as I don't drive. Maybe, I will take the 1 to 125th street and then walk toward the river. Logical thing to do.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I went on google maps, and it looks like 12th Avenue intersecting with the lower 130s runs high up, so I might be able to get a good view of the Westside Connection. I hope there is a sidewalk between 12th Ave and the Amtrak right of way. I also see that the right of way runs past many trees, so there might be a lot of shadows. I would be shooting the action in the morning
  by Tadman

Vincent is an expert on this area - I could spend hours looking at his pics. We had a great thread on the westside line about 6-8 months ago. That was my first chance to really check out Vincent's pictures.
  by hi55us

The N train in astoria @ ditmars is the best chance you have, I know the 6 train passes above the row in the bronx, but I don't think you can get a good shot.
  by R36 Combine Coach

On West 37 Street near Javits Center, look facing south along the Empire Line and you can see the tunnel portal under 36 Street into Penn Station.
  by Kaback9

Not NYC ,but Sunnyside Yard has all the Amtrak you are looking for and great shots from the 7 and there are access points along the bridges over the yard from which you can get clear shots. I advise going to the main gate to the yard though and telling them your in the area, they don't mind you taking picture and thank you for giving them a heads up. Everyone wins you get your shots and they don't have to call the police on you for suspicious activity.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Kaback9 wrote:Not NYC ,but Sunnyside Yard has all the Amtrak you are looking for and great shots from the 7 and there are access points along the bridges over the yard from which you can get clear shots. I advise going to the main gate to the yard though and telling them your in the area, they don't mind you taking picture and thank you for giving them a heads up. Everyone wins you get your shots and they don't have to call the police on you for suspicious activity.
Hunterspoint Avenue Station on the LIRR is a good spot to watch LIRR, NJT to Sunnyside, Amtrak to Sunnyside, and Amtrak to New Haven and Boston. Thats about the best I can come up with for now I guess