• Raildriver Desktop Train Cab Controller

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by WSH

You can see them on this site: http://www.raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

Does anyone here use one or have any comments that might be helpful. They are somewhat pricey so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth! Judging by the dimensions (13.5"x7") it would be about the size of a normal keyboard, minus the nuber pad, that seems somewhat on the small side.

Any comments would be helpful, thanks!
  by LIRRMEDFORD

i actually don't own one but do have some information that can help. Raildriver was mainly made to function with MSTS and does so fully. There has been say about it not being fully compatible with other kinds of simulators although i'm sure with enough time you might be able to get over.
  by MBTA1052

Are they Compatiable with TRS2004 to TS2009 figuring they Rail Simulators as well???
  by LIRRMEDFORD

Like I said it may take a little bit of time to adjust if you have it :D. Raildriver was made with the key board lay out for MSTS W,S reverser A,D throttle <,> train brake things like that so a lot of scurrying about has to be done.
  by RailDriverTech

The RailDriver functions with many different games. Currently, we don't fully support the RailDriver on Windows 7 or on 64-bit operating systems. We do plan for this to change in the future.

The RailDriver is fully compatible with Rail Simulator/RailWorks and many of Auran's Trainz games. You can find our full compatibility chart here.

Just to clear something up I'd like to note that the software to use RailDriver with MSTS and the software to use RailDriver with other games works completely differently. It does not come pre-programmed for MSTS; software has to be installed for each game you wish to use the RailDriver with.
  by Ken W2KB

RailDriverTech wrote:The RailDriver functions with many different games. Currently, we don't fully support the RailDriver on Windows 7 or on 64-bit operating systems. We do plan for this to change in the future.

The RailDriver is fully compatible with Rail Simulator/RailWorks and many of Auran's Trainz games. You can find our full compatibility chart here.

Just to clear something up I'd like to note that the software to use RailDriver with MSTS and the software to use RailDriver with other games works completely differently. It does not come pre-programmed for MSTS; software has to be installed for each game you wish to use the RailDriver with.
I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultra. You mentioned "don't fully support." Do some functions work, and others don't? Does using it require a workaround?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
  by RailDriverTech

Good questions.

Unsupported isn't quite the same as incompatible. By "unsupported" we mean several things. We mean that we have not written software intended for the newer operating systems. Doesn't quite mean it won't work, but usually does mean it requires some fiddling. We haven't investigated everything that can go wrong (some people can't get it to work on one game, but can on others, and others can get that first game to work fine... and we don't yet know why), so complete install instructions haven't happened yet. We also haven't fully evaluated how the RailDriver runs on the newer operating systems, even with games it does work with.

By supporting it we make an implicit promise that it should work, and work well, and we can't do that quite yet. We do plan for this to change in the near future, but as it is what I can tell you is this:

If you have already have a RailDriver, the games, and Windows 7 64-bit, give it a try. Be sure to run absolutely everything as an administrator. If you run into any strange problems, let us know. We probably can't help you, but the more we hear from customers the more we can learn from their experiences, and the more we can test out and eventually offer full support for.
  by strench707

They say they don't support W7 64bit and they don't mention TS2010.

When I set up mine I had W7 64bit and I tried installing it for TS2010. The only option was TS2009 so I hit it and it automatically went to the TS2010 folder anyways and I installed and everything worked flawlessly.

For Trainz run it in Cab Mode (not DCC) or it gets screwy.

Davis
  by kjd73170

The nice folks at Hudson Shores Hobbies in Blauvelt NY have one of those on display and to try out.