• Radio Frequencies

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by BobLI

Hi, can any one give me the radio frequencies for NYS&W? I'd like to try to see if I can hear them on my scanner.

Thank u

by High Iron Photography

The southern division is 160.485, the northern division is 161.295 and 160.620.

Hope this helps.

by amoreho1

would i need some kind of special scanner ?

by jmp883

The only requirement is that your scanner is VHF-Hi capable.

I have never seen a scanner that does not have VHF-Hi in it. Today's modern keyboard-programmed scanners all have the VHF-Hi band in them. The VHF-Hi band is between 137 MHz and 174 MHz. The FCC has allocated the 160-162 MHz range to railroad communications. NYS&W also uses 457.9375 MHz for the end-of-train telemetry. I program this frequency in as well since hearing the chirps from the E-O-T can help you locate a train if you're out chasing. The E-O-T's are low power, you'll usually only hear them within a mile or two of where the train is but they've tipped me off numerous times. Most other railroads use the same E-O-T frequency as well. I've also seen 452.9375 MHz listed for E-O-T's but the railroads I monitor use 457.9375 MHz.

Besides being a railbuff/model railroader I'm also a licensed ham as well as a scanner listener and all-around radio buff. I have 2 ham radios and 6 scanners in the radio shack at my house.

If you have any other radio questions feel free to post them. :-D