Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by arrow

I'm a little eeire about those Alstom R160A's
I wouldn't expect too much from these cars either after the NJT Comet V fiasco from Alstom.

by F40

arrow wrote:
I'm a little eeire about those Alstom R160A's
I wouldn't expect too much from these cars either after the NJT Comet V fiasco from Alstom.
In the field of their push-pull fleet, I'll concur that Alstom was indeed a mess for NJT. But in the field of motive power, I don't think Alstom is half-bad. Consider Amtrak's AEM7-AC's. All of their new gadgetry (a.c. propulsion equipment, electrical cabinets, transformers, HEP, and cab displays) that was part of the rebuild into the "AC" designation was provided by Alstom and they still run fine.

by (5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp

Yeah, I seen that vid. If only that r44 wasn't in it.
  by Terrapin Station

Photos from today:

PHOTOS

by F40

Those are awesome photos. I like the lit-up strip map in particular.

by ryanov

I don't understand why they are replacing newer cars first. What's wrong with the R-42's? Why am I still riding on these awful R-32's instead? Why get rid of the slant R-40's first too? The R-32's are the oldest cars and only 10 are expected to be retired initially.

by jtr1962

ryanov wrote:I don't understand why they are replacing newer cars first. What's wrong with the R-42's? Why am I still riding on these awful R-32's instead? Why get rid of the slant R-40's first too? The R-32's are the oldest cars and only 10 are expected to be retired initially.
The R38s, R40s, and R42s (and R44s for that matter) have a carbon steel chassis which are getting pretty rotted out from what I understand. The R32s, R46s, and anything newer are pure stainless steel. I have a feeling the R32s will be in service another decade at least, perhaps longer if the MTA has another fiscal crisis.

by Majinvegeta

ryanov wrote:I don't understand why they are replacing newer cars first. What's wrong with the R-42's? Why am I still riding on these awful R-32's instead? Why get rid of the slant R-40's first too? The R-32's are the oldest cars and only 10 are expected to be retired initially.
O_O R32 CARS ARE NOT AWFUL Dx. I say let those cars live! even though they might be retired x_x. I would love to see the R44s go away since its the only car that has alot and i mean ALOT of techincal problems. R42 cars must stay as well! The R40 sets must go but i like the slanted ones though T_T.

by ryanov

I'm really not interested in riding around in a museum. If I wanted to ride around in a 35 year old car, I'd drive! :)

by Majinvegeta

lol interesting statement xD. I would ride any old subway car old or new x3. It's all good as long as i go to my place ^.^

by arrow

The R32s are probably the last of the really well-built cars. You can feel how powerful they are when the train starts up, they have much better acceleration than any of the other types of cars. It's true that they are not as comfortable as the newer cars, but they still get the job done.

The R44s are pretty complicated cars since they were designed to be driven electronically. I like the R44 and R46 cars (although the R44 gets an edge because of the windscreens next to the doors inside the cars).

One of the reasons I love the NYC subway is because you can ride in so many different types of cars.

On the BMT and IND:
R32, R33, R40, R42 cars - the "old-time" subway look. Not very nice looking but very practical. These cars were built very well.

R44, R46 - elegant looking cars inside (in a 70's kind of way). Comfortable ride and still feels and sounds powerful.

R68 - Most modern of the old style subway cars. Not as nice as the R44/46 but still not too bad.

R143 - Modern looking and bright.

On the IRT:
R62 - old style cars

R142 - new style cars
(simple :P )

by Majinvegeta

Yea that is true xD But to get back on topic several R160A cars have been spotted over the rockaways and sea-beach lines. Does this mean the R160B cars are close to perfection? O.O
  by DCmetrogreen

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?Y ... MsbnN0YQ==

This links to a page with pictures of R-160 A's and B's testing on the BMT Sea Beach express tracks. The bad thing is the M diamond front signs and Bay Parkway destination signs.