Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

I photographed the Danbury shuttle with 2012 leading this morning at Topstone/Redding, and then again at South Norwalk. Can't get enough pictures of that engine, folks! don't know what will be on tomorrow, I heard possibility of 2008.

-otto-

by JayMan

The day I saw it on the Danbury shuttle I couldn't believe it ran hauling 6 cars. I didn't think they'd let a single FL-9 haul that many cars. 2012 must be a pretty reliable engine.

Question: How come back the day, when the FL-9s rode to GCT, I never saw a NYC painted engine go by in the Bronx on the Harlem/New Haven lines? Maybe it was relegated to Hudson Line service only (or no GCT service at all).

by DutchRailnut

I don't know when you saw the 2012 haul 6 cars ?? not in revenue thats for sure.
The two engines only ran into GCT a few times together and then the third batch of Genesis went into service.
The NYC painted FL9's only exist since about 2000

by 9C1LT1

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if 2012 will still be running the shuttle on Monday? I just got a new Digital Camera and would like to try it out on something worth photographing!!! Also, where is a good spot on the Danbury branch where I can get the train from about 75ft. back from the rail? On the Harlam I do this at Patterson. I've never been able to find as nice of a spot on the Danbury... I'll be coming up from Long Island.

Thanks very much!

-Barry

by JayMan

DutchRailnut wrote:I don't know when you saw the 2012 haul 6 cars ?? not in revenue thats for sure.
I didn't actually count, so I'm not sure of the exact number. :-) It could have been as little as 4, somewhere in there.
The two engines only ran into GCT a few times together and then the third batch of Genesis went into service.
The NYC painted FL9's only exist since about 2000
Ah, I see that was after I moved out of Bronx, okie dokie.

by DutchRailnut

yes the 2012 with two car train and 2008 with three car train will be on Danbury Monday morning in afternoon its hit or miss, one of sets may be switched out. and 2008 is to be replaced by 2014 when it returns from Harmon from inspections.
Good places to shoot the locomotive would be just south of Wilton Station from Route 7, at Cannondale (or just south of)
Just north of Branchville station or at West Redding.
plenty f spots just not enough trains :-)
  by Kurt

When an F unit working on a branch line needs to go in for service/inspection when does it happen? Is it at night or during off peak hours? I would like to get a picture of an F passing thru Bedford Hills if possible.

by DutchRailnut

They are shuttled as deadhead moves and can run any time of the day.
The Danbury crew on 1841 usually takes train to New York if entire train is switched. if not, a move at or around 0900 brings an engine up to Stamford for engine swap.

by Otto Vondrak

You'll be waiting a long time to see an F roll through Bedford Hills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any F's on the Harlem Line Wassaic Shuttle currently? The only time you'd see one come through is when it was due to be cycled back to Harmon for service.

-otto-
  by Kurt

Thanks for the info. I have not been up to Southeast lately. I guess I'll just have to keep the camera with me, and maybe get lucky :P

by Otto Vondrak

2012 is deadheading from Danbury to Harmon today. -otto-

by DutchRailnut

Correct leaving Danbury around 1300 for GCT, me as engineer.

by 9C1LT1

Hey Jaap,

How does 2012 run, is it one of the better running FL-9's? Your going into GCT with a straight diesel, no DM??? Wish I was there to see it!!! Finally, when you operate 2012 by itself, does anyone give strange looks as to why their engine says New York Central and has no MTA markings whats so ever? I'll come up next in the spring to photograph it again, couldn't make it up today. Hopefully NYC 2012 will still be running then!

-Barry

by DutchRailnut

2012 runs just like any other FL-9 and once inside there is no difference.
as far as public only the railfans notice. most passegers don't know difference between Danbury shuttle and an Acela.

by Jondude11

I would love to see some pics of that