• "Newly RECONSTRUCTED" Roundhouse at White River Jct?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

Well, I looked it up on GE and it's DEFINITELY the same one,...
but on GE there's a burned out hulk at that locaation.
So my REAL question is:
WHO did the rebuilding and WHAT will the building be used for when it's finnished?
  by DutchRailnut

well the owner stored high end vehicles in one part and otherpart was used far Pete's tire warehouse.
I assume the landmark building is rebuilt by insurance company for the owner ??
  by Noel Weaver

I have great memories of this place. Steam in 1956 and 1957 when it was gone from many locations in New England and
very friendly people as well. Concrete coaling tower, the only one on the Central Vermont to my knowledge, a big electric
turntable and always a live steam engine or maybe several live steam engines as well.
White River Junction was a very important location on the Central Vermont in the 50's as well. Through freight trains
changed crews there, one crew from New London to White River Junction and the other from there to St. Albans. Sometimes
in steam days the trains also changed engines there too. In addition the passenger trains changed power from steam on the
CV to diesel on the B & M at least until 1957 on most trains.
Even through it is no longer a roundhouse in railroad use, I am glad to see the structure rebuilt.
Noel Weaver
  by ATK

What happened to the turntable? Scrapped? It was still there at the time the roundhouse burned, correct?
  by Cosmo

It was there. GE view shows the burned out RH AND the turntable still there.
  by ATK

I'm no expert in alphabet soup, but GE typically stands for General Electric. However in this case, I think he means google earth.
  by BrianS

Yes the main portion was rebuilt to resemble a round house as it was before. The small office on the side is still there, it was gutted by the fire, but the interior was rebuilt. The turntable is no more, it was cut up on site and carted off in RR gons. I worked the yard swticher 601 Friday Jun 18. So this info from me is pretty much as current as you will get. Kevin's photos will confirm this. He is a friend of mine and filled me in on some of the info as he flies over it a few times a week for work.

Brian
  by CPSK

BrianS wrote:Yes the main portion was rebuilt to resemble a round house as it was before. The small office on the side is still there, it was gutted by the fire, but the interior was rebuilt. The turntable is no more, it was cut up on site and carted off in RR gons. I worked the yard swticher 601 Friday Jun 18. So this info from me is pretty much as current as you will get. Kevin's photos will confirm this. He is a friend of mine and filled me in on some of the info as he flies over it a few times a week for work.

Brian
Not to bust into the thread, but you said you work at White River Jct, so I have a question for you. Are there any trains coming/going on the line between WRJ and St. Johnsbury and north?
Looking at GE, there do appear to still be several customers up that line; especially at St. Johns.

FW
  by b&m 1566

DutchRailnut wrote:I assume the landmark building is rebuilt by insurance company for the owner ??
Does anyone know if the owner of the building wanted it rebuilt to resemble the original roundhouse or was it rebuilt because the insurance company would only cover and rebuild what was damaged?