• "Breakneck Ridge" train speeds and viewing locatio

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Franklin Gowen

hsr_fan:

I posted a detailed reply for you in the New York forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1212

Since your original post required a mostly non-Amtrak reply, putting it elsewhere seemed best.

by JFB

I can't vouch for the speeds, but they're "up there" around Breakneck Ridge.

The photo looks like it was taken at the overpass near Bull Hill, not Breakneck (which, anyway, is a tunnel). Across the road (Rt. 9) from the Bull Hill trailhead is a peninsula accessible only from the overpass. It's a petty clearly marked area, usually obviated by recreationists' cars parked all around. The overpass lies about a mile north of downtown Cold Spring.

Breakneck ridge, about a mile north of Bull Hill, offers stunning views of both the Hudson and West Shore lines. Obviously, the view becomes more panoramic the higher on the (arduous) trail you go. For a good full-speed shot, I recommend hanging around the small parking lot near the seasonal Metro North Breakneck Ridge station (a block of wood in the ballast). That's the only place I know of where you can legally be at track level.

If you're traveling from New York, don't drive. Hourly Metro North trains to Poughkeepsie stop at Cold Spring, easy "huffing" distance from Bull Hill and Breakneck. The Breakneck station gets about two trains a day on summer weekends--doesn't usually fit my schedule, but it may yours.

by hsr_fan

Thanks for the replies! How pedestrian friendly are the trails around there? I mean, is it clear enough that I'll be able to see a rattlesnake before I step on it? :wink:

Here's a recent photo of the lone "RTL II" power cars sitting outside of Super Steel. I wonder what will become of them, now that the Turboliner rebuild program is being scaled back.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20040 ... 729153.jpg

Oh, and here's a shot from that bridge where you can see the tunnels:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20031 ... 230595.jpg
Last edited by hsr_fan on Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Rhinecliff

I, too, have hiked the trails in this area extensively. The hiking is vigerous, but I am no athlete and I got buy just fine. Bring water and snacks and be sure to wear proper clothing. The views are out of this world.

P.S. The old station in Cold Spring is a great place to conclude a days' hiking. It has been converted into a bar and restaurant, and the train viewing is excellent.

by DutchRailnut

Speed at Breakneck is 90 mph on both tracks.

by LI Loco

I've shot at Breakneck Ridge several times. Usually we park by the hot dog vendor, walk through the weeds to the tracks and then hike through the tunnel to the other side.

Since it's been more than 10 years since my last visit, I can't speak to the vigilence of the Metro North police today.

The one downside: my railfan buddy got poison ivy walk through the weeds.

P.S. I favor Manitou: park by the grade crossing (and station platform) and walk south to the cut and then along the tracks to the Bear Mountain Bridge.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Totally agree with Mr. Loco regarding Manitou.

In fact, that was the "selected" (and kept quite on the QT) photo op for Members of the WestConn Chapter of NRHS for the steam powered (NKP 759) May 1969 Golden Spike Limited.

I've still got mine.

by Otto Vondrak

Last I heard, armed soliders patrol the tunnel mouth- and the aqueduct pumping station perched above. I'm not sure you can get near the tunnel to take pictures anymore. You might be able to hike up the trail a bit and take Ed Nowak-style shots though from the top of the tunnel.

-otto-