• Quick Q's about Maverick

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CJ

This has been on my mind for days, and i just cant figure it out

first off, the old loop at maverick, where exactically was it? (near the airport end, or the aquarium end?) I think it was by airport, but not sure!

Second, Does it still 'work'? I remember hearing a story from my Grandmother before she passed about the blizzard of 78, they kicked her off the train at maverick, and said that the train was going onto like a 'standby' track at maverick

Edit: Also, at bowdoin, per the older 86 track map @ nycsubway, the dual loops and the 2 storage tracks, do those still go on towards charles/mgh (to the extent where the old trolley incline was?)

Any help is appreciated, and WHERES THE NEW CARS!

CJ

by vanshnookenraggen

The loop, IIRC, is before Maverick. I remember taking the Blue Line out and seeing this huge cavern all lit up before the station. I didnt see any tracks though and assumed this is where they will extend the platforms.

Dont know about Bowdoin.

by CJ

Yeah, that cavern is the 'old' maverick station, I think it was a victim of fire(not sure?) rumor goes it will be used when maverick is redone for the 6 car trains (no need to pour more concrete!) Reading on the net there was the abandoned trolley loop (maybe ahead of the station?) and a heavy rail loop, not used since 52 , probably behind it like you said!

by sery2831

The rapid transit loop is after the station headed outbound to airport. It's still there, but the tracks have been removed. I forget when I was told they were removed, but I want to say they were there lonf after 1952. There is a streetcar loop in the old station basically in reverse of that loop.

Bowdoin is a single track loop with a two track stub coming off. They extend about a train length and half from where the tracks come together. And there is an emergency exit at about where the old portals were.
  by willfh

in the winter they usually store 4, 4 car trains in the yard

by RailBus63

The Maverick loop track has been gone at least since the mid 1970's when I first rode the line. Given that there is a crossover a short distance outbound from the station, I would guess that the loop was removed not too long after the extension was opened.

JD

by CJ

Yeah, thanks guys!

Since being gone, well ya, i GUESS it would only be good for work from airport -> wonderland, and the only work that would apply is redoing OH, which they wouldnt close for it, or for emergencies, but the only 'long' distance would be aquarium to mav, and in extreme emergencies, theres the silver line :/ (or go to wellington and take a bus, or CR to chelsea/lynn and take a bus!

Anywho , one more Q... (waiting on the photo pass!) anyone have any GOOD res pictures of the blue line control panel in the cab? my memory is shady, and im trying to replicate one in full detail!

Thanks again
CJ

by astrosa

No, but here's the next best thing - the cab of an Orange Line 01200 car:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20040 ... 131500.jpg

If that's not a large enough photo, you might want to contact the photographer and ask if he can send you the original unresized image.

Also, shoot me a private message with your email address and I'll try to scan a diagram from Rollsign magazine that shows all the components and controls with labels and other info. I think I might know, but if you'd care to elaborate on why you're trying to replicate the cab in full detail, I might be able to help you out a bit.

by AznSumtinSumtin

You could ride the first car of a Blue Line train, preferably from Bowdoin, Government Center, or Wonderland. Most of the time, the curtains blocking views into the cab aren't closed.