• Question about the Diesel lines

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

One question. Have diesel work trains ever served or done work on tracks toward Brooklyn?

I mean, could they go into hte tunnel just west of Bolands Landing?

Pooch, FYI I'll keep an eye on 277 horn vids. I was persuing over VHs tapes and if I come across something, I'll shout. No luck yet. Was 277 in service through the end?
  by Shavano

All of the GP38s were in service until at least 1999, the 277 in particular was one of the last still active in non-revenue/revenue service if not the last. That unit was fitted with one of the first K5LA's cast, having it at least as early as 1978 (mainstream K5LA's began getting cast in production and offered in 1977), making it a very melodic-sounding horn that it carried throughout most of its years on the Island.

But I digress..
  by mirrodie

Shavano, were any of the horns on the Cab units similarly melodic?

BTW did you hear the horns in that video clip? I was at this concert and thought a train was coming through!
  by wilsonpooch

yep 277 had a nice sounding horn as I have been saying all along.. could always tell it was her approaching..
One night I was on an late evening oyster bay Train, approaching New Hyde Park and we had 277 on the head end.
I asked the Engineer If I could blow the horn for new hyde park ( 3 crossings at 65 mph). He said sure.
I was about 40 years old, had 21 years on the RR, and was acting like a little kid.. Its not a job if ya love it.. ;)
Hard to explain the sound of 277.. you have to hear it. It was like a melody.
Hope someone has a video out there.
It had the same low pitch sound of the horn the other gp-38's had, but mixed in was a high pitch sound at the same time.
It also seemed louder then the other gp-38s.
The two sounds mixed together was nice.

the 1500's fit in the brooklyn tunnels, they used them on track work projects and the like. The brooklyn tunnels between Dunton and east new york had vents so were a bit easier to take with an engine in them. Thanks for looking Mir.

This almost captures 277.. listen to the multi chime sound..especially towards the end of the video. just about gets the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkkZP47nxE8

and... lol I have thought about doing this.. but not nutty enough... this guy put one in his truck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJoJQx7s ... re=related
  by mirrodie

You know, I've been looking through videos and not a single one of 277 yet.

Got loads of 272, as well as many others.

Also I was surprised how much of hte diesel lines i rode/ took, got footage from Mineola, NHp, Mill Neck, the roof of Hillside, cabrides to montauk, and I am still looking through stuff.

Also, beside cabrides, I wouuld sometimes ride in the open vestibule behind the gp. Made for awesome engine and horn sounds.
  by workextra

All the fun stuff that our sueciety ruined.
  by keyboardkat

workextra wrote:All the fun stuff that our sueciety ruined.
I used to work with a woman whose ex-boyfriend was an LIRR engineer and she said that she used to sit on his lap while he was operating a train(!)
Now, that's going a little far. Imagine if someone tried that today!
  by mirrodie

Shavano wrote: That unit was fitted with one of the first K5LA's cast, having it at least as early as 1978 (mainstream K5LA's began getting cast in production and offered in 1977), making it a very melodic-sounding horn that it carried throughout most of its years on the Island.

But I digress..
So did other GPs likely have the same horn or was 277 truly a one off?