• Question about paint schemes

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

The red/blue window stripes on the Silverliners were put on during the late 1990's/early 2000's, around the same time the Silverliner IV's got the new interiors. As for the reason, I'm guessing just to "brighten" them up and make them look nicer...also probably since many other transit agencies, as well as Amtrak, have window stripes on their trains. I like the Silverliners both with and without the stripes, but I sort of preferred the Silverliner II's and III's without the stripes, since the stripes looked a little "out of place".
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Airport Silverliner IIIs had the striping bands applied on the ends as well, giving a unique appearance.
  by MACTRAXX

SubwayTim wrote:The red/blue window stripes on the Silverliners were put on during the late 1990's/early 2000's, around the same time the Silverliner IV's got the new interiors. As for the reason, I'm guessing just to "brighten" them up and make them look nicer...also probably since many other transit agencies, as well as Amtrak, have window stripes on their trains. I like the Silverliners both with and without the stripes, but I sort of preferred the Silverliner II's and III's without the stripes, since the stripes looked a little "out of place".
ST: I will second you on this post...SEPTA began using the current color scheme striping in I believe 1999 with single car 302 being the first car with these colors...

They then striped all three car types in the 1999-2000-2001 time period...This can't be called a "paint scheme" when no paint whatsoever is used...

I will add that all three car types up until that point traditionally had no striping - just herald logos of SEPTA,PC (PRR originally-S2-S3's) and RDG on some cars...

Many cars had the round red SEPTA logo on them that was then covered or removed during the 1980s after SEPTA took direct control of Regional Rail in 1983...
The railroad heralds were also removed or covered by SEPTA's updated early 80s logo which was used beginning during that period...

SEPTA also striped 8 Silverliner 3 cars with yellow end/window striping and PHL Airport logos to be dedicated for Airport Line service in the late 80s/early 90s...
These cars had 2/2 seating installed replacing their 3/2 bench type seating (Remember the "rainbow" seats?) and luggage racks on one end...This color scheme was replaced with the red/blue scheme during this same time period...

I seem to remember that the Trolley color scheme was changed around the same time period gradually - perhaps someone involved with the LRVs can elaborate further...

MACTRAXX

You do not need to hit return unless you want a new paragraph. The text will wrap around automatically when posted. -AlexC
  by jackintosh11

I think that the SLV scheme looks much better. It looks like they took the trolley scheme from the 80s and the current SLII/III/IV scheme and kept the best parts of both.
  by MACTRAXX

JT: I beg to differ with you here...The S5 color scheme is just overkill for what is actually needed...
I have seen "Too 1980s" mentioned elsewhere and I tend to agree with that thought...

The part I do like are the top stripes between the side quarter point doors - I would have gone clear around the car with those and
just placed the SEPTA logo on the sides similar to what the MFSE M4 cars have - and kept the front end striping either the same or
instead have just used red for those stripes leaving out the blue - with a SEPTA logo on the front door below the window...

MACTRAXX
  by jackintosh11

Actually, I think that the current scheme on the IV is overkill. I think that it kills the beauty of the metal. The scheme on the V in my opinion is simple but definitely stands out against the metal. I think that it looks great on them. The Denver SLV scheme might be a better option in terms of layout. Have red from the ends to the doors, and blue in between the doors, and have a SEPTA logo at the ends.