• Put confront-them-back strategy on photography to the test

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

I was on a railfan outing with a friend on the Orange Line on Saturday, and got confronted about photography at Virginia Square station. Apparently the station manager wet his pants over my camera when I was taking photos from the mezzanine. We went out to the street to get canopy and street pylon photos, and coming back in, an employee wearing a dark blue WMATA polo shirt with a second logo on it that I'd never seen before stopped us at the faregates to ask if I was a professional photographer. I explained that amateur photography is not regulated under Metro's current rules, and no tripods. He said that I need to ask the station manager before taking photos in the system. I said "sure", while thinking, whatever, because I knew it was unenforceable.

Then while balancing my camera on top of one of those bomb-proof trash cans with the lid for a long-exposure photo, a custodian came up to me and told me I can't photograph in the system. I initially ignored him (holding the camera still on top of the can lid required my full attention), and when he continued, I gave him polite "hold on" gesture (one raised index finger). Then when the exposure was complete, I gave him my attention. He said that photography was not allowed, and I basically let him have it. I told him that I knew the rules and knew my rights, and that photography is allowed in the system despite what he might think, and that he would need to produce evidence to the contrary in writing for me to stop. He backed off. If he had threatened to call Transit Police, I would have volunteered to call them myself (I have them programmed in my phone).

Then we went down to the platform and continued photographing, mainly just to piss them off. They left us alone, though you could hear the custodian talking about us from the mezzanine. The gentleman in the polo shirt came down to the other platform later, and sat on the bench looking all sad like he'd been defeated. And admittedly, I confronted them back and came out on top.

So photography on Metro seems to be alive and well, as long as you are prepared to defend your right to do so. These low-level employees can dish it, but they can't take it when you throw the actual rules (vs. their made-up rules) back in their faces.
  by HokieNav

Good for you, Ben. I know that you're familiar with the run-in I had a few months ago - I'd encourage you to file a complaint via WMATA's website, and send your story to some of the WMATA blogs (unsuck dc metro and iMetro for starters). The more that the WMATA public affairs folks have to work putting out fires from overzealous employees, the more pressure there will be to properly train employees on what the policies are.
  by tommyboy6181

I second that idea. Go ahead and file a complaint with Metro and post in the blogs. The people at Metro need to understand that we are following the rules and their employees are not. If it were me and an employee confronted me, I would personally have contacted Metro Police and let them know of how the employee was harassing me on the platform.

Good for you though in showing them who is right.
  by strench707

Yeah but then watch after you file aq complaint. they make an offical rule against photography just so they don't have to deal with complaints anymore.

Idk, it might help though,

Davis
  by Matt_S

Ha, reminds me of when I was filming for an amateur documentary on the platform at Silver Spring with friends (no tripod - I know the rules). A member of station staff came up to us and said "You know the transit police are watching you" pointing to the building at the end of the platform where a couple of them were standing around, in a voice that was obviously supposed to sound intimidating.

I just smiled and gave a thumbs up saying ookaay, and she backed off. Needless to say they didn't bother us at all, and we didn't get any hassle for the rest of the day.
  by jamesinclair

Good job. If people roll over and don't stand up for their rights, we essentially lose them.

While taking more pictures than needed to annoy them may not be the most mature thing to do, I know I've done the same to make a point. Hopefully, this group of employees will hesitate before making up rules the enxt time someone comes along to take pictures.
  by SchuminWeb

jamesinclair wrote:While taking more pictures than needed to annoy them may not be the most mature thing to do, I know I've done the same to make a point. Hopefully, this group of employees will hesitate before making up rules the enxt time someone comes along to take pictures.
Well, it wasn't so much to "annoy" them as it was to make the point, but I believe my camera's presence would have pissed them off regardless. It's not like I was taking pictures of them or anything like that. Rather, I was taking station photos, like the ones I'd been taking all day.