• Pullman Co Comet 1 cars.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddSilverliner269

6374 is about to leave powelton yard with comet 1s
  by scotty269

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:6374 is about to leave powelton yard with comet 1s
On my way out!
  by scotty269

scotty269 wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:6374 is about to leave powelton yard with comet 1s
On my way out!
The Pennypack Limited arrived 4 minutes AHEAD of schedule. Video forthcoming!
  by BuddSilverliner269

Per a septa official, the comet 1 cars will only be used on the r3 for now on as Amtrak has banned them from there tracks.
  by ekt8750

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Per a septa official, the comet 1 cars will only be used on the r3 for now on as Amtrak has banned them from there tracks.
Any reason why they banned them?
  by nomis

That explains why i saw them last night in Roberts Yard ...
  by Clearfield

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Per a septa official, the comet 1 cars will only be used on the r3 for now on as Amtrak has banned them from there tracks.
Fine! Let's ban the Acela cars from the Warminster line. Never mind.......
  by BuddSilverliner269

The comet cars brakes are set for direct release and all of septas engines are set for graduated release. Graduated release, you can release the brakes alittle bit at a time and as much as you want, but direct release the second you go to release, you lose all of your brakes. NJT has an electric hold feature which prevents releasing all of your brakes at once, but septa doesn't have that feature so apparently Amtrak notified septa that those cars are banned. If septa had the electric hold feature put in or borrowed a Njt ALP then it wouldn't be a problem.
  by Clearfield

Good reason!

Not really a big issue for SEPTA at this point. A year from now, we'll look back and laugh.
  by blockline4180

Interesting!
Pretty ironic that these cars are now back running into NJ. Can anyone tell me what train will use the Comet I's during the morning rush from West Trenton into Philly??
  by BuddSilverliner269

blockline4180 wrote:Interesting!
Pretty ironic that these cars are now back running into NJ. Can anyone tell me what train will use the Comet I's during the morning rush from West Trenton into Philly??
They are running in NJ again? For NJT? I thought they were all retired by NJT and were being scrapped at the MMC?
  by blockline4180

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Interesting!
They are running in NJ again? For NJT? I thought they were all retired by NJT and were being scrapped at the MMC?
No, I meant NJ, meaning West Trenton... Isn't West Trenton in the state of NJ???
  by khecht

So can SEPTA even get them out to Frazer for maintenance anymore?

While I agree that this probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, did Amtrak just notice this issue? They've been running for SEPTA for what, 18 months now?

The direct release thing sounds worrisome, but I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning an example of an unsafe scenario caused by this. Is there some consequence of this in an emergency braking/collision avoidance situation?
  by Silverliner II

Of course they'll still have to cycle to Frazer for servicing at some point, so they'll have to use Amtrak rails for that. I'm sure Amtrak would allow non-revenue moves.....

I run freight, so my experience has only been with direct release braking (which is how freight cars and locomotives are set up). If I have it figured correctly, in the case of the Comets, if an engineer graduates off the brakes from the locomotive, the brakes on the coaches would release completely. From the cab car end, if it works the same way as freight direct release, the brakes would remain applied until the brake handle was in the release position.

Am I close on that, Budd? :-D
  by R3 Passenger

So does the consist still contain 8 cars like it did on the GVF, or did they remove one?

Also, which bomber run did SEPTA remove a car from to put on the GVF? (Meaning that somewhere, there is a 6 car bomber set.)