• PSNH Bow Plant coal trains / HO scale inquiry

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by papasmurf

HI FOLKS:
Am brand new member here.; old geezer. Live near Public Service Electric Generation Plant in Bow, NH, on west bank of Merrimack River. I see Norfolk Southern hoppers, primarily. Remember well one day last June, when over 100 empties were heading south right next to my parking space! Am curious about where coal train originates and it's route north. If anyone knows of same, please post and Thanks in advance.

Live right near the old Suncook Valley RR r-o-w[ex- B& M; abandoned in 1924 and went independent until going belly-up in 1952] which ran from Concord, NH to Center Barnstead. Was member of old HO Suncook Valley RR modular Club from 1987 to about 1992. Am life-long HO model railroader; raised 8 children. Made valient attempt to FINALLY have spare 2nd floor bedroom for small a-t-r HO switching layout. One son left for Army just as another came home safe from Iraq[THANK YOU LORD!]so layout was put on hold again. Now, another son may leave for Air Force, so I might have a crack at one small upstairs bedroom for track laying! Just curious about possible HO model railroaders, who may live in the general area of Concord/ Manchester, NH and may be willing to share their expertise over a cup of coffee. TTFN..... :wink:
P.S. Please Pray for our son Mike, now in Iraq.

by B&MYoshi

Hi there. This question will probably get more responses on the Pan Am board. Return to the B&M forum out of this thread, and replace the 77 in the URL for this forum with 55.

The coal trains come from two places. Most of the trains originate on NS, coming from a mine in Kentucky, I believe. I'm not sure what mine it comes from (or even whether it comes from KY or WV). Hopefully someone else will shed some light there. The trains move via the Guilford main from CP's Mohawk Yard outside Albany, through the Hoosac, and up to North Chelmsford where they use the Northern Main to Bow.

Coal also comes from the Providence via the P&W. It is routed through Worcester and up to Gardner (recently Ayer) and then along the same route to North Chelmsford.

The best of wishes for your son. May he return safely.

by SSW9389

Hey papasmurf! I used to live in Hooksett, my folks still do. I've seen a Bow coal train or two up that way, but not recently as I now live in Kentucky. Sounds like the train has changed character quite a bit since I saw it last. :wink: