• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Alcoman

I went down to Colonie Yard and yes they busy laying track and yes the "abandoned" equipment lays directly in the path of this expanded yard project. I will go down there daily and see the progress they make as well as report when the scrapping begins......I hope to get pictures too.
  by traingeek8223

If I have any say about it, atleast a few pieces will come out intact. The ALCO Historical & Technical Society owns three pieces there, with plans to move atleast one out.
  by thebigham

^Any updates.

I read on another forum that CP was laying tracks very close to the units and that they would be scrapped soon.
  by Alcoman

I was there yesterday and the track laying equipment was sitting at the bridge. I will go there today and see if there any changes.
  by jakirk

The Albany Times Union quoted CP in an article last week saying that the equipment would soon be scraped. Some of the passenger cars and the caboose are privately owned and are for sale on Railswap. Anyone interested better act quickly.
  by Alcoman

I went down there today and observed that the workers are next to the equipment with track machines. A couple of workers were standing nearby and looking at the "Abandoned" equipment.
I suspect scrapping will begin this coming week. If there any hope saving anything, it has to be done NOW!

Alcoman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by lvrr325

Don't they have to basically evict the equipment via legal means to scrap it? That will take some time.
  by nessman

Depends... Who owns the equipment? If there's an owner - is he paying rent? If so, is there a lease? Has the tenant broken the lease? If no owner, Is the equipment considered abandoned?

My guess is CP has gone through the process to locate the owner, notified the owner of record if one exists, placed legal notices in the paper, and tried to get the equipment removed - and it appears they're at the point where they've exhausted all legal options and at this point their only choice is to declare it abandoned and scrap it.
  by Alcoman

Since the Times Union article has quoted CP planning to REMOVE the equipment, it sound s like it will indeed be removed......in pieces.
BTW, The picture was taken Thursday, but when I went by today, the railroad was working (SUN) so it appears they are moving along as quick as possible since they indicated that the deadline for finishing is October.
  by scharnhorst

Is all this stuff on property owned by CP Rail or is it privately owned land? Is CP going to expand in that area?
  by Alcoman

scharnhorst wrote:Is all this stuff on property owned by CP Rail or is it privately owned land? Is CP going to expand in that area?
Its owned by CP as far over as the fence to the left of the equipment (approximation). As I understand it, they will adding 1- 2 more tracks in addition to the 3 there already plus a service road.
The equipment is being kept there rent free.
  by nessman

scharnhorst wrote:Is all this stuff on property owned by CP Rail or is it privately owned land? Is CP going to expand in that area?
CP can't touch or move anything that's not on its property (or property it leases that it has control over). So yes, this is on CP property.