• Pre-cast track sections instead of ties/ballast

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SouthernRailway

The NYC subway, and surely plenty of other transit systems, uses pre-cast "floors" to which rails are attached, instead of using ties and ballast as a base for track. I assume that the reason is that it's tough to maintain ties and ballast in tight areas, and I also assume that regular (i.e., non-subway) railroads haven't adopted this approach due to its higher cost.

Am I correct? If not, why don't regular railroads use pre-cast "floors" and attach rails to them? Wouldn't the rails shift less if they're attached to pre-cast "floors", reducing track maintenance and derailment costs?

A photo (from the E line at Archer Avenue/Sutphin Boulevard/JFK Airport) is attached. It's upside-down for some reason, but you can see the pre-cast floors and the rails attached to them.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by jlr3266

Those are not precast. That is direct-fixation. The slab and plinths for the rail plates are cast-in-place. Requires very tight alignment and tolerances. Most of NYCT uses the cut sections of ties cast into concrete. A very quick installation that lends itself to night trackwork.