• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steamer69

NErailfan,
Read the post about what I said about railfans....steam falls right into it.....they're trying to channel the "old Edaville".
  by Reader#108

In defense of Jon as well....(did I just say that?) .....he also is now intimately involved of the day to day operation of Cape Cod Central and Masscoastal, as well as Grafton and Upton.....

He is making alot of moves and decisions. I have to admit, that I have changed my tune about him somewhat. I would have to say though, from the outside looking in, that he is a business man trying to make sound business decisions in a tough economy.
Since, Edaville is still even there for us to comment on, we should probably thank him considering the alternative would be us typing away about how sad it is that there is no Edaville to see the christmas lights at this year, no holiday trains on the Cape, and no new business starting in central mass....

The fact that it is not what it was when we were kids does in fact stink. But I would rather have the ability to go to place with my family and relive the experiences from my youth than go and say "Wow....look at these nice condos! I remember when there was a railroad here....."

Kind of like "Fantasy Farm" in Lincoln NH......had to cross the tracks to get on the property. Now its a water park. Bleh....
  by Mikejf

Reader#108 wrote:
Kind of like "Fantasy Farm" in Lincoln NH......had to cross the tracks to get on the property. Now its a water park. Bleh....
That's where that was. Went there as a kid, couldn't find it as an adult.

Mike
  by NErailfan

Good news!!

A question on Edaville's facebook page:

FB user: Any update on the Anne Elizabeth?

Edaville: State Inspection is being done today, we will know more after that.

From what I gather this is the last inspection needed for her to steam up again, and pull trains.

Sorry if I seem a little giddy, but I have tickets to the polar express for my whole family, and what a better way to experience it with a steam engine, even if she is not one of the original 4!!!
  by NErailfan

Reader#108 wrote:So NE Rail....pulling off my facebook posts now, eh? :-)

Hopefully it will be good news
LOL Yes yes, but I did say facebook user..

Good to see you're on this site too!

Very interesting stuff coming up...
  by steamer69

I hope that Miss Fiji does well. It would be nice for them to have some sort of steam there again. Does anyone know what inspection they are doing?
  by MEC407

From The Herald News:
The Herald News wrote:CARVER — A beloved holiday favorite story comes to life as the Polar Express train ride roars into the station at Edaville Railroad, adding another attraction to the enchanting Christmas winter wonderland.
The Festival of Lights, a holiday tradition at the park since the 1940s, is in full swing for the season as well. The Festival of Lights train trip through the pastoral park is a 20-minute journey that allows visitors the opportunity to enjoy the Christmas scenery as they relax in a warm train coach.
Over the past several months, Edaville Railroad has upgraded its amusement rides by concentrating them all in one location and it expects to open a brand-new roller coaster this summer. The 12 rides include a full-scale Ferris wheel, which offers a prime view of the lighted holiday spectacular. The nostalgic rides also include a carousel, the Tilt-a-Whirl, the Scrambler, and Flying Turtles.
Read more at: http://www.heraldnews.com/lifestyle/par ... ar-Express
  by oldrr

Thank you MEC407, so, they plan on building a roller coaster. I have a feeling that it's going to be a joke, judging by the way that they do everything else down there but we shall see.

I doubt that coaster fans are going to be talking about this coaster in any favorable light. I suspect that they only way to get any "air time" on whatever they put in will be if the car derails and you take a short cut to the ground.

If they wanted to be unique, put the loop back in around the reservoir and run the coaster parallel to the loop. It would be quite a trip to be going around the loop at 60 mph or more and complete the loop in 5 minutes.

These people don't seem to be able to do anything right so I imagine that this new coaster will be nothing to write home about.
  by NNR

we got it oldrr Edaville is not the same we know you don"t like the managment WE GOT IT! Let everyone else post memories and pictures without you quickly shootin them down with your negative outlook. Stop filling up this forumn with your crazy rant.
  by steamer69

Just thought everyone would like to know that Miss Fiji is almost done. They are apparently just waiting on one last part that should be done by early next week, also the coal is scheduled for delivery on Monday or Tuesday. That is from the facebook page. For those who didn't know, they converted the Fiji from oil to coal. Makes sense if you're not going green with bio fuel. The facebook page says that they will be posting a steam schedule next week as well. Hope they got a steam crew back.....seeing as the state requires a boiler operators license......

And to Oldrr.....keep up the good work. It's not crazy to state facts....some foamers hate facts....I say you should be able to discuss it with those of us who agree with your opinion....I fail to see a crazy rant.
  by MaineCoonCat

Interresting commentary on Edaville's Facebook Page.
  by Steamer

oldrr said:
Thank you MEC407, so, they plan on building a roller coaster. I have a feeling that it's going to be a joke, judging by the way that they do everything else down there but we shall see.
Edaville's new roller coaster is the kiddie coaster from the defunct Rhode Island park Enchanted Forest.

From The Internet Roller Coaster Database:

Roller Coaster: unknown
Amusement Park: Edaville USA (Carver, Massachusetts, USA)
Classification: Roller Coaster
Type: Steel - Sit Down
Relocations: Enchanted Forest as Roller Coaster
Edaville USA as unknown
Track layout: Oval
Categories: Kiddie

Inversions: 0

by oldrr

Thank you Steamer69 and also to Steamer.

Steam is good news. It's good that the present management sees the value of steam and are going to the expense of making it happen. Unfortunately, they don't have a track record of doing things right down there so we will have to wait and see what happens.

Maybe this is just an experiment and if ticket sales don't increase they'll stop running steam. Who knows?

In order for them to make the transition from their present state of mediocre to either good or great, they are going to have to realize that they will need to work on improvements that by themselves don't do much but in combination add greatly to the whole.

Picture if you will Edaville in 1990 as a model railroad layout. Now, take away your four main steam engines, almost all of your static displays, tear down the Cranberry jct station, remove the engine house, remove the bypass track, remove the water tower, remove the turntable, remove from service the track around the reservoir and replace the 5.42mile loop with a 1.75 mile loop. Remove all of the yard trackage, the siding going into the station, the siding near the yard limits at you head past the former coal pile. Leave in a spur of almost 2 miles but don't use it.

Now all of a sudden your railroad is much less interesting. Everything that they tore down had added to the character of the railroad.

In 2004 they had the full loop and were operating steam. I can't understand what kind of fool would have torn those tracks up. Even if you don't want to use them, leave them there, you don't need permission to repair existing trackage.

Pulling up the iron was so short sighted that I have a hard time picturing what kind of blithering idiot would have done such a thing.

The roller coaster is the right size for kids. But, it also shows one of the problems with management down there. They think small. They seem to have little imagination. They have proved themselves masters of tearing down the work of others but show no talent for improvement. They seem to lack vision.

The reinstatement of operating steam is a good sign. I still say that they will somehow screw it up, but it could be a step in the right direction if they manage to somehow be able to operate steam on a regular basis.

Their long term goals should be to acquire at least one of the four original steam engines and to re-establish the loop around the reservoir.

Unfortunately, in order to get where they need to be, they have to undo most of the senseless destruction that they have reeked upon the place since 2004 and 2005.

As I have said before, they don't need to worry about vandalism, they themselves have done more damage than any vandal could hope to accomplish.

So, lets hope that things work out well with the steam and if that works out, maybe they will realize that they should re-establish a route around the reservoir.
  by CVRA7

The new Edaville is advertising quite a bit on WBZ 1030 AM radio.
I guess if you never saw the old Edaville, the new RR wouldn't be that hard to take. I saw the old railroad and have no interest in going back to see how the character of the place has changed. I'll treasure my memories.
That said, I wish the new railroad all the best. They are writing a new chapter in the history of New England 2 foot railroading whether we all like it or not.