• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by oldrr

Steamer, you're absolutely right on all counts.

It would most likely be difficult for them to expand the loop if they hoped to make their money back in a few years.

Most likely they will remain content with continuing to allow mediocre to be the enemy of both good and great.

If they want to make it to good or even great then they're going to have to make improvement to everything without expecting an immediate return on the investment.

It isn't one thing that's required to make the jump to the next level. It's doing everything at the next level. That includes making the train ride as interesting as possible. It means replacing Cranberry Jct Station to make a better first impression, it means running steam.

I don't think they're up to the task of getting from mediocre and just surviving to something they could be proud of.

As you say Steamer, if you don't like it, they'll probably offer to sell you the place or tell you that you should have bought it when it was up for sale.

Speaking of that, I'm sure that the place is basically always up for sale.

BTW, it's interesting to note that if he were to sell it in pieces, he'd most likely get stuck with the parcel that contains the Atwood spur. It's pretty much swampland. If it had any value, I am sure that AD Makepeace would have bought it like they bought the bogs, or the King Richards Fair guy would have wanted it.

I suspect that they do not even look at the forms on that website, or if the information is forwarded to an email, maybe they don't check the email box.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to volunteer for just the Xmas season.

If you're going to volunteer you want to do something that is worthwhile to you. I can see volunteering to work on the Atwood spur with the understanding that you can play on it with rail equipment as well. You'd be able to see your progress and take pride in your work.
That's a concept that may be foreign to the present Edaville regime.

I can't see volunteering for schlog work that they could pay someone minimum wage to do.

We'll see.
  by oldrr

Here is an interesting picture, someone sent me the link, of the current end of track. It also shows the signal with the semaphore gone. Edaville supposedly has a signal department. Why haven't they fixed this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18777869/P1050721.JPG

The present end of track is just before guard rail curve. Note the absence of a proper tie barrier or a bumper post.
  by steamer69

If it's abandonded out there then why bother to fix it.....you gotta remember that these clowns don't care you like you do oldrr, they just don't care. Same thing that I was dealing with on the CSRX thread. People don't realise that ultimately the money talks and the Foamers walk....and the railfans are stuck in the middle asking what just happened. My theory is going to prove correct I think, and Cosmo and I will have been right. Cosmo will have been right about the death of the once and future edaville, and I will have been right about how management of railroads in New England works. An active friends group would imply support for the management and owners, and the belief that whay they were doing is worth it. Another one of those times it's not making me happy to be right. This is no different than the standard gauge railroads I work on....the management is the same. Gasping for a breath of air, while the railroad crumbles around them.
  by oldrr

I agree, plus having a signal at the end of the line doesn't really make much sense.

I'm not ready to write off Edaville just yet. The old Edaville is gone for good.

The present Edaville is likely to survive at least for a while as it is. I don't expect a longer loop, it's up in the air about any use of the spur. They did put the switch in and they didn't sell the iron for scrap despite ripping up other sidings like the one on the left as you come into the station after crossing Eda Ave south. Also there was a track on the right as you headed out of the yard limits that usually held a cut of cars and was the location of may meet photos. They tore that up. The only reason I can see is to sell the iron.

When the economy improves and people start buying houses again is when things may be up in the air. It may be sold in pieces and developed into houses.

But, I think that there is a good chance that it will survive as it is, with only minor improvements, few if any of interest to the railfan.

From a railfan standpoint, Edaville is pretty much dead. You can go down and look at the place and remember what used to be where but to the new railfan, who has not been there prior to 1992, there is little of interest.

Steam would help. I know of some railfans who were excited last year when they ran steam. I don't care for that type of engine so it didn't do anything for me. Unless it's 3,4,7, or 8, I'm not interested. But at least they did bring steam back to Plymouth county.

So, what's their annual budget like? If they got 100,000 visitors at $18 a piece that's 1.8 million plus income from the food and souvenir sales. Their busiest time is Xmas. They don't operate when they can't make money.

The question is whether or not it's better to hold on to it for cash flow and profit or to sell and take your money in one lump sum.

Any idea of how many visitors they do get. I think their brochure said 300,000 per year but I suspect that they are inflating the numbers.

With non-railfans, it all comes down to money.

We know that they were willing to dump the whole thing for 10 million. Apparently that figure was not very negotiable or they would have been able to sell it.

They're operating now because if they don't operate and don't sell they don't make any money yet they still need to pay taxes. So, they may as well operate. Some money is better than none. I suppose that the only thing that we can assume from the fact that they are operating is that they are not operating at a loss. Of course, it's easier to sell an operating business than one that is closed down.

The owner has said in the press that he doesn't want to see the place closed. I don't believe him. I believe that he is motivated only by money. He will say what sounds good and what will make him look good but at the end of the day he has to make business decisions. So, we can't count on him for any help.

If Edaville survives it's going to be because it's the best use of the property from a business point of view and that includes being better than putting the land up for sale for houses.

If it isn't the best use of the land from a business standpoint, then it's only a matter of time.

I think that there is a good chance that in the long term, it can be a better money maker as it is or with reasonable improvements, than it would be to sell it for housing developments.

Fortunately much of the land simply isn't developable because of the swamp. I question how close they could put houses to the cranberry bogs that dot the property yet are owned by AD Makepeace. Ad Makepeace needs access to those bogs. That will further limit what you can do with the property as far as houses go.

Does anyone have any idea of how many visitors they're pulling in over the course of a year?
  by steamer69

Not enough to convince someone that paying $10,000,000.00 for that dump is worth it.... :-P Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
  by oldrr

"Good answer, I like the way you think, I'll be watching you ":) Sam Kinison in Back to School.
  by steamer69

15 years in the business didn't make no dummy. Running a railroad is running a railroad. Once you learn to think like a manager, and railfan...while trying to avoid the foamers, you tend to make sence.....LMAO!!!!! Foamer free is the way to be! Cater to the railfans, and the general public, you will do fine. Gotta have the balance.
  by Mikejf

Edaville will never be what it was. Very unfortunate. Also, the longer it is dormant, the harder it will to resurect. Once people find something else to do with their time, they will only return if they can. And if the don't have a good experience when they return, they may not return again.

Catering to the railfan would not be the ultimate answer either. It would help, but railfans take more pictures than rides. The key would be get it operating and keep it operating. Make it a family destination again. If the Mrs. wants to go, you are all set.

Mike
  by oldrr

I have nothing to add to the two previous posts.

This is a picture of the end of track on the spur, looking towards what used to be guard rail curve. The signal is on the right of the guy taking the picture but out of view of the camera.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18777869/P1050722.JPG
  by oldrr

Here is a nice picture of the former Cranberry Lake Park. The person who took the picture told me that he tried to get as much into the frame as possible. He forgot to bring more memory for the camera so was very limited on the number of pictures he could take. No extra memory and very little on the camera.

Good picture. Nice view of the lighthouse.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18777869/P1050723.JPG

These pictures are up to date, less than 30 days old.
  by oldrr

Here is the last picture.

The view of Atwood Jct from the spur. At least they put a switch in. It would have been a little easier to just leave it unconnected.

The signal off to the left works. It was displaying red over red on the halloween train.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18777869/P1050725.JPG

Sorry there weren't more but the guy that went out there didn't bring his memory card for the phone and apparently doesn't have a good camera in his phone or doesn't know how to use his camera phone or didn't think to use it. At any rate, these pictures do provide some insight as to the status of the spur.
  by steamer69

miketrainnut wrote:Catering to the railfan would not be the ultimate answer either. It would help, but railfans take more pictures than rides. The key would be get it operating and keep it operating. Make it a family destination again. If the Mrs. wants to go, you are all set.
Maybe not the untimate answer, but a very good one. Foamers aside, railfans are one of the best free sources of advertising you can get. They take a lot of pictures, and then spread them all over the internet and on forums that are serched by millions of people.....and what does it cost the railroad? Compotent employees (which you need anyway), a good railroad (which you need anyway), a welcoming environment (which you need anyway, not just for the railfans, but for the general public), and a sence that the railroad cares. Build and MAINTAIN a good foundation and the families, railfans, and even some foamers will show up. And you just got yourself thousands and thousands of dollars of free advertising.
  by NErailfan

Again, I will ask..

Why did they go through all the trouble last year to get a steam locomotive? Why are they spending money on rebuilding, and inspections on #21?

Like I said, most kids (me not included) would probably care less that a steam or a diesel train carried them around the park.

Maybe steam does make the difference?

I can almost guarantee that if they announce it on facebook, that comment will get the most hits..

Waiting
  by MaineCoonCat

In our discussion, thoughts, ideas, criticisms, hopes and whatever for Edaville it should not be forgotten that the current owner and as of 1 January 2011 Operator, is also in the process of resurrecting a standard gauge, common carrier road from the weeds, woods and NIMBY's somewhat northwest of this operation, so I'm sure Edaville is receiving well less than 100% of his attention.