• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by railedprograms

Ok, thanks for the reply. Disgraceful how the process takes so long. Some nice journalism should be done to investigate why it takes NJT or NJDEP so damn long. If I performed my job like this, I wouldn't have one for long.
  by cruiser939

railedprograms wrote:Ok, thanks for the reply. Disgraceful how the process takes so long. Some nice journalism should be done to investigate why it takes NJT or NJDEP so damn long. If I performed my job like this, I wouldn't have one for long.
It's a tug of war game. NJT doesn't want to drag this project out but it's the DEP's job to do just that; make sure all the bugs and grass don't get disturbed.
  by nick11a

It's funny: to me, the progress doesn't seem so slow.... compared to the past 20+ years of stagnant attempts at restoration. The fact that work has begun is something of a minor miracle, to me. That's just my perception.

In the end, whatever work that has been done more or less proves that... it will be done.
  by FRN9

sullivan1985 wrote:I can't wait for the first of many trash trains that are lined up waiting for the line to open. Oh yeah... I went there.
Me too. It makes complete sense. I hope they make the tunnel between Brooklyn and NJ so that it can be easy to send the trash out.
  by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:I can't wait for the first of many trash trains that are lined up waiting for the line to open. Oh yeah... I went there.
Very funny. Someone is now going to google "Trash Trains" and "Cutoff" and find this thread; this will then become their proof that there indeed will be trash trains run on the Cutoff.

Oh, Internet; you make all things wrong, right.
  by Jtgshu

FRN9 wrote:
Me too. It makes complete sense. I hope they make the tunnel between Brooklyn and NJ so that it can be easy to send the trash out.
That'd be awesome, the garage gets a direct, "one seat" ride to Brooklyn, the passengers dont! HAHA
  by Patrick Boylan

Jtgshu wrote: That'd be awesome, the garage gets a direct, "one seat" ride to Brooklyn, the passengers dont! HAHA
I thought it was pronounced 'garBahj', not 'garage'
  by Jtgshu

Patrick Boylan wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: That'd be awesome, the garage gets a direct, "one seat" ride to Brooklyn, the passengers dont! HAHA
I thought it was pronounced 'garBahj', not 'garage'
Damn autocomplete......

btw for a good way to waste several hours, go here

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

:) Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
  by oknazevad

Damn it, Jt, like I need another way to waste time on the Internet.
  by Patrick Boylan

I agree with Oknazevad, http://damnyouautocorrect.com/ definitely is a niche site for those of us who have not yet discovered http://engrish.com/

For the alternate pronunciations, but no help spelling check Hefty Jonathan Winters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKyI4U84R5I&t=0m36s
  by themallard

Scranton is designing a station, or at least a bus depot with a platform out back.
Originally proposed in the late 1990s, the intermodal center will be constructed in the 100 block of Lackawanna Avenue on property now occupied by a parking lot for workers at the nearby State Office Building. It will serve as a hub for COLTS buses and other transportation services, including the proposed passenger rail service to metropolitan New York if that comes to fruition. Mr. Fiume said COLTS hopes the center will be ready for occupancy within three years.
The Times-Tribune
  by michaelk

railedprograms wrote:Ok, thanks for the reply. Disgraceful how the process takes so long. Some nice journalism should be done to investigate why it takes NJT or NJDEP so damn long. If I performed my job like this, I wouldn't have one for long.
The DEP's speed at times is shameful. I've been involved in cleanup jobs that the DEP takes years to approve action. There were (are?) times its so pathetic that the responsible party cleans it up 'at risk'- on their own and hopes later the DEP approves of their plan. You read about the EPA, DEP, attorney general have to sue companies to do something. You never see the star ledger reporting how slow the DEP is and actually delays cleanups with paperwork.

Recently they started a program where consultants (paid by the people doing the cleanup) are the ones that oversee things. That's supposed to help free up DEP employees to speed things up.