• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Amtrak7

NJT has released a new system map:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Some interesting changes. The Bergen County Line is now blue. The Gladstone is now light green, the Dinky is now white.

Pennesauken Transfer is now shown (when will it open?)

Dashed lines indicate transfer required to NYC-but only WORM-land and south of Long Branch are dashed. Shouldn't Main/Bergen/Pascack/Raritan all be checked?

There is no evidence of that one RVL trip to HOB.
  by Jtgshu

I think they mean that a transfer is required to NY on lines that can already run directly into NY. On other lines, its assumed a transfer is required.

I don't like going back to the old straight line map, I liked the other map, but oh well.

Can someone tell me why Avenel is still not listed as Handicap accessible? I don't see any reason why its not, other than the limited service (although significantly increased service in recent years) it gets compared to other stations on the line.
  by sixty-six

Definitely not a fan of the new map.
  by TAMR213

Also not a fan of this map, always liked the recent geographically (somewhat) correct map. But then again what do I know?
  by M&Eman

The way they implemented the dashed line, it seems like Dover, Long Branch, and MSU require transfers to NY. Also, the map makes it seem like Port Jervis trains require a transfer at Suffern to reach Secaucus/Hoboken and the Meadowlands Line terminates at Secaucus. I always liked the geographical-ish map. This is just plain fugly.

Any particular reason why they felt the need to give the BCL it's own color?
  by blockline4180

sixty-six wrote:Definitely not a fan of the new map.
agreed
  by uzplayer

There is a mistake on the map.

If I am reading this map correctly based on the legend, the Meadowlands Line is considered "Light Rail."

Wow... Nice blunder NJT...
  by uzplayer

I'm actually going to save this file and send it into the news. LOL
  by morris&essex4ever

Why did Transit put out a new map when the old one was just fine?
  by M&Eman

Did anyone notice that the Gladstone Branch has been renamed the Gladstone Line on this map? Combined with the fact that the Princeton Branch is now referred to as the "Dinky Shuttle" on the map, I think NJ Transit is trying to eliminate all official uses of the word "branch". It's odd timing though that they did not coordinate this map change with a timetable redesign, as some timetable motifs reflect things that were on the old map that are no longer here (Yellow Bergen County Line, M&E trunk being explicitly part of the Morristown Line, etc.)
  by themallard

There's no reference to West Trenton, a West Trenton station or anything beyond NJ other than an arrow pointing towards Pennsylvania at Trenton. They might as well have written in "here be dragons"
  by oknazevad

Hate it. Schematics work fine for subways, where the actual geography is relatively unimportant as the stations are relatively close and usually pretty evenly spaced, but for a commuter railroad with stations quite distant from each other and varied station spacing, a more realistic geography is helpful.

As for the specifics of the execution, the new colors are lousy, and the inaccurate depiction of transfers is going to cause more confusion that help it. Generally, showing service patterns on the map is a subway thing, not a commuter rail thing.
Last edited by oknazevad on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by chuchubob

Amtrak7 wrote:...Some interesting changes. The Bergen County Line is now blue. The Gladstone is now light green, the Dinky is now white....
The Dinky is shown as a light rail line.
  by sixty-six

uzplayer wrote:I'm actually going to save this file and send it into the news. LOL
LOL HI-LARIOUS!!!!!