• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by MACTRAXX

TDowling wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: After looking at this map some more it reminds me of the MTA's 1975 Commuter Rail Guide map that also showed the Erie Lackawanna Railway in purple and PATH in black...
The EL lines shown were those that ran into Rockland and Orange Counties from Hoboken...today's Main Line/Bergen County Line and Pascack Valley lines...

In the early 80s the MTA issued a Commuter Rail Guide map that was much better-and geographically correct...like some earlier NJT maps mentioned are...

MACTRAXX
Do you happen to have a link that would show that 1975 map? Just curious...
TD: I found a drawing of one at: http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/historical.html
It is listed in the 1970-1980 section as "1974 NYC Commuter Rail Overview"
This should give everyone an idea what that map looked like-
The original MTA 1975 version is better then this...
MACTRAXX
  by Steampowered

Isnt Rahway a transfer station ? The 2007 map is much easier to read.
  by 25Hz

Yes it is. It's a pretty big facility as well, one side and one island platform.
  by M&Eman

It would probably make sense if Rahway, Summit, and Ridgewood were designated as transfer stations on this map, as well as the diesel to electric transfers at Dover, MSU, and Long Branch, but this is NJT. You can't guarantee things will be done logically.
  by cruiser939

I haven't posted in this thread since it was started so let me start off by saying that this map is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I would also like to assure you that most of my coworkers feel the same way. Unfortunately, there is one person here who has entirely way too much power than he really deserves. This new map has been a pet project of his for about 2 years now AFAIK and it looks like he finally snuck it by the sleeping head of Jim Weinstein. How anyone could think this was a good idea baffles me. I'll now revert to my typical style of posting to respond piecemeal to some of your comments.
  by cruiser939

sixty-six wrote:
uzplayer wrote:I'm actually going to save this file and send it into the news. LOL
LOL HI-LARIOUS!!!!!
I know totally. The news will eat this one up... oh wait, they don't actually care.

Serious question uzplayer. If service were ever to be considered for the NYS&W., buuuuuut only if the map depicting it would be in this style... would you as leader of the NYS&W facebook page consent?
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:West trenton not being there actually does bother me, because not only do busses connect trenton transit center with west trenton, but it's a railroad station in NJ that connects to PA (interstate travel point).
Well seeing as this is a NJT rail map and no NJT rail service connects to West Trenton, I don't see what the problem is with not including it.
  by cruiser939

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Technically the Bergen County Line should be shown terminating in Waldwick, since only a few peak trains run through to Suffern.
Well then technically, it shouldn't be shown terminating at Waldwick. That was a HBLR/TRE post.
  by cruiser939

uzplayer wrote:If you also look from a geographical view, Penn Station is positioned wrong on the map. It's terminating where the GWB is.
Ummm, in case you haven't realized (which obviously you haven't) this whole map isn't geographically accurate. Pointing out each particular instance is a waste of your's and everyone else's time.
  by cruiser939

sixty-six wrote:
GE-RULES wrote:

If you look at the map "very carefully" you will notice the circle sizes indicated for the Meadowlands Line and Princeton Line are in fact the same size as other "heavy rail" stations indicated on the map - even my 7 year old son noticed that, it's basic Sesame street stuff here guys. I'm just guessing here, but I think whoever put this map together may have thought people would have been smart enough to make the distinction, but based on the comments above they were apparently mistaken...
Hah! I like it!
Seconded.
  by cruiser939

Bill R. wrote:From an aesthetic standpoint, I liked the old map and i like this map as well, although the map scale in the vicinity of Newark might have been increased to provide better clarity. Obviously, any information content mistakes should be corrected. i don't see while someone would be confused by this map (when corrected).

My biggest problem with this map is the gaping void south of Camden. Would anybody care to join me in complaining about that?
By wiping Camden off the face of the earth? That way there's no void below it... :P
  by 25Hz

cruiser939 wrote:
25Hz wrote:West trenton not being there actually does bother me, because not only do busses connect trenton transit center with west trenton, but it's a railroad station in NJ that connects to PA (interstate travel point).
Well seeing as this is a NJT rail map and no NJT rail service connects to West Trenton, I don't see what the problem is with not including it.
Well i guess so.. It is still rail and it's in NJ, to pretend it isn't there doesn't do anyone attempting to use rail any favors.
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
Well i guess so.. It is still rail and it's in NJ, to pretend it isn't there doesn't do anyone attempting to use rail any favors.
You're missing the point. If this map is only put on NJT trains and no NJT trains run to West Trenton, then what purpose does putting it on the map serve?
  by loufah

oknazevad wrote:Another thought, tangentially related: Does anyone actually use the "Morristown Line" name? Most, here at least, use the Morris & Essex name far more often.
Yes, conductors at Dover sometimes shout "Morristown Line" or "Boonton Line" so people don't get on the wrong Hoboken-bound train.
  by ryanov

cruiser939 wrote:I haven't posted in this thread since it was started so let me start off by saying that this map is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I would also like to assure you that most of my coworkers feel the same way. Unfortunately, there is one person here who has entirely way too much power than he really deserves. This new map has been a pet project of his for about 2 years now AFAIK and it looks like he finally snuck it by the sleeping head of Jim Weinstein. How anyone could think this was a good idea baffles me. I'll now revert to my typical style of posting to respond piecemeal to some of your comments.
I don't like the map much either, but I'm curious if you could share some specifics that cause you to dislike it so much?

Personally, I take issue with the crappy gray color chosen for the Bergen County Line. I thought it was actually pretty smart of them to the two as distinct on station monitors by showing one line in yellow on black and the other in black on yellow. Do that for the Gladstone Branch too and it's all set. Gray? C'mon. There are more ACTUAL colors one could use before resorting to a shade of black.