• BSL Ridge Spur + PATCO - Possible?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MelroseMatt

Just going to go ahead and plug my idea for a PATCO extension. Keeping Patco and the BSL completely separate, and actually ending BSL service on the Ridge Ave line.

Finish the Locust St. subway west, under the Schuylkill River. Turn north, and construct a deep station adjacent to 30th st. station. Continue north, back under the river to Fairmount Ave at the Art Museum. Construct a new subway under Fairmount up to Broad St, at which point the line would continue down the Ridge Ave. subway back to the bridge. Ideally, add the Gloucester county branch to Patco, so trains start from Glassboro, loop clockwise through the city, and head back to to Lindenwold. The Lindenwold to Glassboro trains make a counterclockwise loop through the city. And why not a St. Patrick's day train that just loops endlessly through Philly?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12097616@N ... otostream/

Aaah, what I could do with a few billion big ones.
  by askclifford

jb9152 wrote:
askclifford wrote:They operate the Newark Light Rail Subway, whether you define that lighter or heavier then PATCO, it requires the same exact drivers certification to drive.
(or what my grad school professor calls "rail rapid transit", or RRT)
Thats really cool! You're major sounds fun, not to go off topic, but what is your major?
  by jb9152

askclifford wrote:
jb9152 wrote:
askclifford wrote:They operate the Newark Light Rail Subway, whether you define that lighter or heavier then PATCO, it requires the same exact drivers certification to drive.
(or what my grad school professor calls "rail rapid transit", or RRT)
Thats really cool! You're major sounds fun, not to go off topic, but what is your major?
Been out of school a long time, askclifford, but it was the MS Transportation program at U. Penn.
  by BoxallsAccommodation

MelroseMatt wrote:Just going to go ahead and plug my idea for a PATCO extension. Keeping Patco and the BSL completely separate, and actually ending BSL service on the Ridge Ave line.

Finish the Locust St. subway west, under the Schuylkill River. Turn north, and construct a deep station adjacent to 30th st. station. Continue north, back under the river to Fairmount Ave at the Art Museum. Construct a new subway under Fairmount up to Broad St, at which point the line would continue down the Ridge Ave. subway back to the bridge. Ideally, add the Gloucester county branch to Patco, so trains start from Glassboro, loop clockwise through the city, and head back to to Lindenwold. The Lindenwold to Glassboro trains make a counterclockwise loop through the city. And why not a St. Patrick's day train that just loops endlessly through Philly?

Actually it would probably better to extend PATCO under Rittenhouse Square (Heaven forbid!) with perhaps a stop at 20th or 22nd streets, thence under the Schuylkill under the line of Spruce Street and then run in a counter-clockwise loop bounded by Spruce, 38th, University, Civic Center and 34th. Having to go under the Subway-Surface lines twice would permit the construction of one or two connecting stations. Depending on the alignment there could be a connection with Regional Rail at University City. It would serve Franklin Field/Palestra, University Museum, HUP, CHOP, PVAMC, The ME's office and their associated institutions. While It wouldn't serve 30th Street Station, connections could be made to it at University City Station, the Subaway-Surface lines or via the LUCYs; besides, New Jerseyans can access 30th Street directly from via NJT's Atlantic City Line.

As for your idea, a line under the Parkway would probably be better to serve those institutions. An extension of the BRS as a full line under Ridge and evetually Henry Avenue (as was once planned - the Henry Avenue Bridge was designed to carry a subway) might be more useful to Philadelphians as a whole.
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

askclifford wrote:I like it. Possible?
Dc? Yes.
NY? Yes.
Other Liberal City? Yes.
Corrupt Philadelphia? No.
This wouldn't be possible in New York either. The MTA only has two subway expansion plans - Phase 1 of the 2nd Avenue Subway, which will have only three stations at 96th, 86th and 72nd Streets. Then there's the 7 train extension to the Javits Center, which will have a grand total of one station - the Javits Center. That's it. New York currently has no plans to expand its subway anywhere else in the city. They're not even thinking about it now. If anything, we're seeing subway service get cut. The V and W trains are gone and the G no longer serves Forest Hills, Queens, at all. The grass is not always greener somewhere else. If anything, be envious of Boston, where they have active plans to expand their Green Line to Somerville and Medford. Or Washington, where they are actually building the Silver Line to Tyson's Corner, VA, and streetcar lines on H Street and in Anacostia.
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

MelroseMatt wrote:Just going to go ahead and plug my idea for a PATCO extension. Keeping Patco and the BSL completely separate, and actually ending BSL service on the Ridge Ave line.

I hope you continue to plug your PATCO/Ridge Spur loop proposal. It's a valid solution for what to do with the Ridge Spur and for where to extend PATCO once in Philly. And it gives direct rail access to the Art Museum area, which is always good. I've always though the Ridge Spur should be extended further northwest along Ridge Avenue, but I guess that's for another topic.
  by Wdobner

redarrow5591 wrote: While that statement might be easy to say, YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT COMBINING TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OPERATIONS. No amount of NPT or switch installations will change the fact that PATCO and the Broad Street cannot operate together for any reason at any time. There are too many obstacles (quite a few physical) that automatically restricts that from happening. Right from the gate is the car end shrouds that protect the undercarriage on the PATCO cars CANNOT clear various lowball signals just on the Ridge Spur alone..... never mind the Main Line itself.
That's a bit harsh. While there are physical constraints in the rolling stock which do prohibit through operation, its definitely not impossible because both lines share the same design heritage. Maybe the current PATCO stock won't work on the BSS, but the two can be adapted to one another, or a future rolling stock order can rectify this interoperability issue. The same goes for signalling, as both systems will likely be looking to upgrade their signalling systems in the next 20 or so years. It'd make sense for them to both adopt a compatible system which would restore that aspect of universality in the Philadelphia subway system. For the time being a bigger issue would be fare collection on a combined system. But even then there are ways to work around the problem. For example it should be possible to have a transfer tap point for smartcard users, or a fare cancellation machine for paper ticket users, both within fare control so PATCO riders can continue on to exit at a SEPTA station without having to tap or swipe there.

IMHO pairing the BRS and PATCO operations through a relay at 16th is impractical because it would inevitably require a tremendous amount of ultimately quite expensive schedule padding to prevent major delays. If we're going to combine the BRS and PATCO, then I'd be more interested in extending the BRS from 8th and Market down the Locust St subway to 15-16th. This could improve the operating economics of the BRS by changing it from an extended shuttle into a secondary express service servicing a different market than the BSS Express yet still serving effectively the But then terminal capacity becomes a problem, with PATCO almost fully utilizing the number of trains 15-16th can be realistically expected to turn during peak hours, and using one track west of the 11th St crossover as a terminal yard during middays we can't even extend the BRS during off peak hours without throwing PATCO's operations all to hell. But then that's not a particularly difficult to do, as even the Glassboro line service plans required a corresponding reduction in service on the Lindenwold line to accommodate the second service operating out of the Locust St Subway.

As a result of the constraints 15th-16th places on the system, I find myself agreeing with Melrose Matt (and some other more grandiose plans) that something more substantial will be required if we are to have a subway system which serves the region effectively. We've all seen the original plans for the Center City distributor loop, and while it's doubtful it's any more realistic today than it was in the 1910s or 1930s, it may be what we need to make the BSS an integral element in the city and region's mass transit system.

We don't need to build the loop as just one outrageously expensive project either. Chicago plans to build their outer loop Circle Line in a series of phases, and a modern day circulator loop could be approached in much the same manner. If we were to adopt Melrose Matt's proposal with the western leg of the loop out around 30th St, then it is possible the first phase may only see service extended to a terminal capable of handling more traffic under 30th and Market with one or two stations between the two points. 30th St also opens up the possibility of using some portion of the Amtrak MOW space east of Powellton Yard for PATCO/BSS storage tracks, thereby reducing the number of deadhead trains PATCO has to operate to maintain its evening peak service. Beyond 30th St it may be years before we get a TBM to dig under the Schuylkill, the Ben Franklin Parkway, and on toward Broad and eventually the 8th and Ridge junction, but in the intervening years it may be possible to utilize bellmouths provided in the loop built to that point to extend the BRS to some point in University City, perhaps as an opening move toward a Woodland Avenue subway. As the loop were completed the same would be true of service through Fairmount and Strawberry Mansion, to Henry Avenue and Roxborough, and along the edges of South Philadelphia. It's even possible the proposed Parkside Ave service could be operated either as a subway/elevated, or using standard gauge 48inch floor LRVs out of the loop.
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

I hate to admit this, but if I were in the state legislature, I couldn't advocate futher rail transit funding to west Philly... Granted the MFL & Surface-Subways are not completely adequate, however, if a major project is to been done, it should be extending the BSS or MFL out Roosevelt Blvd. It's damn shame that the lines can't tie together since their incompatable. Then again, if you do extend the MFL, do you put it back underground and listen to people complain about construction or do you keep it elevated and have everone complaining about the tracks, pillars, shadows, noise, etc. As for the BSS see first problem with MFL extention. Although, the median would make cut & cover method a little bit easier but not by much. Of course SEPTA would probably want to do a third option ala "Schulkyll Valley Metro!"

I know that plan went nowhere 40+ years ago. However, the Northeast has changed quite a bit... The Blvd is lined with retail, opening that up to rapid transit could have long term benefits. The traffic on the boulevard is brutal. I have a relative who lived in the Los Angeles area most of her life and dealt with the LA traffic. She moved to the Philly suburbs a few years ago, and swears Roosevlet is the worst street she's ever driven. I can't say that I disagree with that.
  by BoxallsAccommodation

BuddCarToBethlehem wrote:I know that plan went nowhere 40+ years ago. However, the Northeast has changed quite a bit... The Blvd is lined with retail, opening that up to rapid transit could have long term benefits. The traffic on the boulevard is brutal. I have a relative who lived in the Los Angeles area most of her life and dealt with the LA traffic. She moved to the Philly suburbs a few years ago, and swears Roosevlet is the worst street she's ever driven. I can't say that I disagree with that.
Having also live in Los Angeles, I might put Roosevelt Boulevard up there too but there are boulevard's in L.A. too that come to mind -- Santa Monica (particularly in Century City), Ventura, etc.
  by hammersklavier

While SEPTA and PATCO might have slightly different dynamic envelopes, this is due to the way PATCO operates its system more than anything else. It's entirely possible to have the specialty PATCO cars and SEPTA cars intermingle since the most important elements of the dynamic envelope (loading height, 3rd rail feed) are identical, and if the voltage is not (as I have heard from rumors), the electrical systems' shared heritage also implies this would be a rectifiable issue.

PATCO's line is quite busy (a net average of just shy of 3,000 daily passengers a station, according to the figures given on Wikipedia). There would be no sane reason for SEPTA to abandon any of it, if they acquired it. Even if the equipment isn't quite interoperable, SEPTA equipment wouldn't foul PATCO signaling. But the far better solution in the short term would probably be to just work out a fare union so that free transfers are possible at 8th/Market and 12th-13th, 15th-16th, and Walnut-Locust.

My big idea for the Spur would be to run it into the City Branch cut, through the Fairmount tunnel, and along a disused section of ex-B&O (now CSX) right-of-way to Girard in the first phase. This line would be operated with the same equipment the Spur now uses, with more frequent service due to the shorter line, and the Spur from Noble to Fairmount taken out of revenue service and used to run equipment to the maintenance facilities up at Fern Rock. This line would eventually be extended up through East Falls and Roxborough to Andorra, and down along 8th to Oregon--at which point a fare union would allow serious interoperation discussion.

Along with some other new lines also making use of the half-loop PATCO now operates--one extending from Mt. Airy to Wayne Jct. down Germantown Avenue, down 19th to Rittenhouse, and then east along Locust to Society Hill, and another extending along the 25th Street Elevated from the Sports Complex and Navy Yard entrance up via Grays Ferry Avenue to Rittenhouse Square to the Locust Street line--a hub-and-spoke interlocked-lines loop system can be built. As this system takes shape, the Spur can be returned to revenue service as an express route for Broad Street trains.

This plan, by the way, I call the "Philadelphia2050 Loop Network".
  by Suburban Station

a subway to andorra? completely unnecessary
  by scotty269

motor wrote:What's NPT? Never saw that term before.

motor
septa.org/npt
  by Matthew Mitchell

scotty269 wrote:
septa.org/npt
No, dvarp.org/NPT
  by scotty269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
scotty269 wrote:
septa.org/npt
No, dvarp.org/NPT
I can use bbcodes too

Anyway, both sites are valid resources.