• Non-Amtrak passenger routes after Amtrak creation

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

TomNelligan wrote:Regarding the message quoted above... Mr. Norman, are you sure about the Boston & Maine? The B&M had no intercity passenger trains in 1971, just Boston-area intrastate commuter service. My recollection is that when the Montrealer was restored the following year it was under a new operating agreement between the B&M and Amtrak, not a spinoff of the events of 5/1/71. The Central Vermont Railway entered into a similar operating agreement at the same time.
Having now reviewed the informative Don Phillips piece "The Road to Rescue" appearing in Summer CLASSIC TRAINS, I must concur with Mr. Nelligan and concede my noted point with regards to the Boston & Maine.

As I recall from learning at the time, the B&M and CV were fair and reasonable negotiating with Amtrak to operate The Montrealer and that the agreements reached with both roads were the model for similar Amended Agreements reached with with all major member roads other than Santa Fe, which inexplicably continued to operate under the May 1, 1971 Basic Agreement until i know not when - maybe even until the '96 BNSF merger.

However, when it came to negotiating with the Canadian National for access from E Alburgh to Montreal Central Station, the tune played differently. Here the CN (as distinct from its various US subsidiaries at the time - now all merged into the Grand Trunk), knew 1) Amtrak was under mandate to get The Montrealer up and running (along with Pacific international and Inter American) and 2) they were outside the jurisdiction of any US regulatory or arbitration agency. This of course was a recipe for 'dictation' rather than "negotiation'. Owing to the "dictated' high access cost to their rails and station facilities, it is no surprise that The Vermonter terminates in St Albans; it is also a surprise that Amtrak has not been more interested in a reroute of The Adirondack into Windsor, such as we have extensively discussed here at the Forum.
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

JimBoylan wrote:The restoration of Bethlehem - Allentown, Pa. service happened after Amtrak Day.
The Bethlehem-Allentown extention was the work of Fred Rooney, the Lehigh Valley's Ccongressman at the time. He was a fairly high ranking Democrat, first elected in '63, and chaired a sub-committee. He was able to secure federal funding for SEPTA to extend service. However he lost his re-election bid to Don Ritter in '78. With Rooney out the funding was no longer provided to SEPTA. However, Don Ritter did get federal funds for the Basin Street overpass, that opened in '93, in Allentown where the Reading line & Lehigh Valley connector to the Reading line routinely blocked traffic throughout the day.
  by NellieBly

Okay, this gets complicated. The State of PA (through SEPTA, I believe) bought restroom-equipped Silverliner MUs from Budd in 1967 for use in PHL-HAR service. They may have been operated by PRR, then PC, but the equipment was funded by the state through SEPTA and later ended up in SEPTA service (with the restrooms locked).

Jim Boylan is correct that Allentown service didn't begin until well after A-Day (and ended fairly quickly), but it was an extension of, again, SEPTA-funded but RDG-operated service between PHL and Bethlehem, with RDCs owned by SEPTA. So yes, it is technically correct to say that SEPTA did not operate any service on Class 1 railroads until after the passage of NERSA in 1981, but they *funded* a good deal of service. So did NJT.

The opening of the Center City tunnel and the closure of Reading Terminal provided a convenient excuse for SEPTA to end service to Pottsville and Bethlehem, but I think it was also that SEPTA did not want to take over the crewing of those trains from Conrail, since they were really outside what SEPTA thought of as its service territory.

I don't know what the rationale was for NJT ending service to Phillipsburg, Atlantic City, Cape May, and Trenton to Newark via the New York Branch and former CNJ, but it may have been similarly motivated. Things were really in constant flux in the late 1970s and early 1980s as Conrail struggled to attain solvency and state agencies grappled with the need to actually assume the operation of trains on Class 1 railroads rather than just funding it. It was an interesting time, the like of which we won't see again.
  by MACTRAXX

NB: I believe that the 20 St. Louis Car built 1967 vintage Silverliner 3 cars are the cars that were bought originally by SEPTA for the PRR PHL-HAR service and were funded by them as you mention...

When they were overhauled and rebuilt in the 80s the restrooms were removed and replaced by either a locker/closet and when the group of eight cars were rebuilt for SEPTA PHL Airport Service (I believe that was the number) new 2/2 seats and luggage racks were installed at that time...

MACTRAXX
  by Jeff Smith

Can someone clarify which routes previously alluded to were Central of Georgia, Southern Railway, and "The Georgia Railroad"? I've never heard of the last before.