• Which abandoned Septa line would you want back?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by rbreslow

Clearfield wrote:I hear that Rotem is going to build Dual-Mode Locos like the ones NJT is buying once the SLV contract is complete.

Of course, trains may be levitating by then......
Septa is strictly non-diesel ever since Newtown. The only possiblity of any old Septa diesel line coming back is with eletric service.
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:
Clearfield wrote:I hear that Rotem is going to build Dual-Mode Locos like the ones NJT is buying once the SLV contract is complete.

Septa is strictly non-diesel ever since Newtown. The only possiblity of any old Septa diesel line coming back is with eletric service.
I heard that SEPTA is planning on reactivating Newtown as a mag-lev line.
  by Clearfield

rbreslow wrote:

SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since the CCCT opened.
  by scotty269

Clearfield wrote:
rbreslow wrote:

SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since the CCCT opened.
SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since they stopped operating diesel passenger locomotives.
  by Franklin Gowen

Clearfield wrote:SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since the CCCT opened.
scotty269 wrote:SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since they stopped operating diesel passenger locomotives.
These points deserve special emphasis. It's very frustrating to repeatedly see people mangling the history of the loss of SEPTA's diesel passenger services. :-(

The commuter-rail tunnel opened on November 10, 1984; Reading Terminal was closed and the tracks leading to it were severed four days earlier. The RDC fleet and the three FP7As for the Philly-Reading push-pull consist were withdrawn from commuter-rail service on July 29, 1981. The former was not the direct cause of the latter. These events are separated by nearly three and one-quarter years.

I'm sure that someone out there can specify even greater levels of detail concerning these events. But please, I beg you; no hearsay, OK? Thanks.

As for my own posts, comments & corrections with proof are always welcome. I hope to avoid perpetuating myths & rumors.
  by glennk419

Franklin Gowen wrote:
Clearfield wrote:SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since the CCCT opened.
scotty269 wrote:SEPTA is strictly non-diesel since they stopped operating diesel passenger locomotives.
These points deserve special emphasis. It's very frustrating to repeatedly see people mangling the history of the loss of SEPTA's diesel passenger services. :-(

The commuter-rail tunnel opened on November 10, 1984; Reading Terminal was closed and the tracks leading to it were severed four days earlier. The RDC fleet and the three FP7As for the Philly-Reading push-pull consist were withdrawn from commuter-rail service on July 29, 1981. The former was not the direct cause of the latter. These events are separated by nearly three and one-quarter years.

I'm sure that someone out there can specify even greater levels of detail concerning these events. But please, I beg you; no hearsay, OK? Thanks.

As for my own posts, comments & corrections with proof are always welcome. I hope to avoid perpetuating myths & rumors.
Franklin, you are, as usual, on the money. Despite being OPERATED by Conrail at the time, the diesel fleet was in deplorable condition by that time as maintenance was thrown out the window and SEPTA did nothing to attempt to extend the service except for the well known Newtown folly.
Last edited by glennk419 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by limejuice

Mr. Gowen: Please refrain from tainting this ever-so-enlightening discussion with accurate factual information. You're dissipating the foam!
  by glennk419

limejuice wrote:Mr. Gowen: Please refrain from tainting this ever-so-enlightening discussion with accurate factual information. You're dissipating the foam!
Daniel, once again you beat me to the punch. LOL!
  by Franklin Gowen

Sorry, folks, for de-foamifying the discussion. I likewise missed Scotty's subtle wit in reference to when SEPTA became diesel-free -- just like our electric MUs in October, it slid right past my station! :-D That's what happens when you work too hard; you sometimes lose your attachment to the absurd. I'll see if I can find it around here someplace.....ah, there it is! On the front pair of seats of this Silverliner-V!

...oh.

Hmmm. Guess I'd better leave it there. This yellow caution tape is just way too frightening to cross. ;-)
  by jfrey40535

SEPTA more or less demonstrated their complete lack of interest in diesel intercity, or diesel suburban rail service when SEPTA shop crews at Wayne Junction starting feeding transmission fluid into the oil crankcases of the remaining RDCs used in Newtown service, and then wondered why they smoked like #40 coming out of Lahaska.
The fix per the superintendent of the Newtown line in 1982? Feed them more oil! Its amazing, they had 8+ cars up there, and they managed to kill all 8 in just 13 months. That's got to be a record!
  by rbreslow

scotty269 wrote:
rbreslow wrote:

I heard that SEPTA is planning on reactivating Newtown as a mag-lev line.
MAG-LEV!?
  by SilentCal

scotty269 wrote:I still vote for a diesel-powered maglev...
And there should be a parking garage, but only for flying cars.
  by Quinn

SilentCal wrote:
scotty269 wrote:I still vote for a diesel-powered maglev...
And there should be a parking garage, but only for flying cars.
Nah- they fold up into a briefcase, Jetson-style!
  by glennk419

Based on the last 5 or so posts, the Newtown line must now have a bar car (which of course will necessitate restrooms!).