• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ApproachMedium

They are running a 25kV system hence the need for the ALP45DP.
  by Rotax

ApproachMedium wrote:They are running a 25kV system hence the need for the ALP45DP.
Correct. The Deux-Montagnes line has been completely rebuilt between 1992 and 1995. The old 3 kV DC lines were replaced with the standard 25 kV AC lines. We got rid of the old CN electric boxcabs and EMU's and bought 58 MR-90 EMUs to replace them.
  by frostyorange

Rotax wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:They are running a 25kV system hence the need for the ALP45DP.
Correct. The Deux-Montagnes line has been completely rebuilt between 1992 and 1995. The old 3 kV DC lines were replaced with the standard 25 kV AC lines. We got rid of the old CN electric boxcabs and EMU's and bought 58 MR-90 EMUs to replace them.
Not to get off topic, but those MR-90's look a lot like the M7 in LIRR service.
  by oknazevad

Nah, the MR-90s don't have quarter point doors like the M7s, and are overhead, not third rail. Actually, they strike me as a EMU version of a Comet V, sorta. There probably is some similarities, though, as both were built by Bombardier.
  by Rotax

oknazevad wrote:Nah, the MR-90s don't have quarter point doors like the M7s, and are overhead, not third rail. Actually, they strike me as a EMU version of a Comet V, sorta. There probably is some similarities, though, as both were built by Bombardier.
Correct. And MR-90 cars have doors for both low and high level platforms.
  by Silverliner II

Jeff Smith wrote:
HBLR wrote:Which witch?
If I were a certain misognyistic Congressman from Queens, I'd say either. Heck, I'll say either anyway. Or both.

We've hit a new low!
I can't believe I went looking for a "Like" button to click. Whoops, wrong site!! Anyway, I finally got to see the 4500 parked in its secret undisclosed yard location. I don't know why I thought of a manatee when looking at it... all it needs are the fins....
  by waldwickrailfan

when will 4501 be back from Pueblo? is it going to come back under it's own power? and what route will it most likely take?
  by ATCFault

waldwickrailfan wrote:when will 4501 be back from Pueblo?
Whenever it's done testing.
waldwickrailfan wrote: is it going to come back under it's own power?
No.
waldwickrailfan wrote: and what route will it most likely take?
Whatever route they want!
  by waldwickrailfan

ATCFault wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:when will 4501 be back from Pueblo?
Whenever it's done testing.
waldwickrailfan wrote: is it going to come back under it's own power?
No.
waldwickrailfan wrote: and what route will it most likely take?
Whatever route they want!
ok. that would be nice if i could catch it come back on its own power. but i now know that it isnt.
  by Hawaiitiki

From article
"AMT says the fleet expansion was ‘imperative’, as commuter rail ridership had more than doubled in the 14 years since the authority took charge of the services. Gauthier confirmed that ‘electrifying the entire AMT network is now a distinct possibility’, adding that the results of a feasibility study being undertaken by AMT and local electricity supplier Hydro-Québec ‘are expected very soon’"

Anybody else finding the timing of that statement a little bit bizzarre. I see it as "It is a distict possibility that these locomotives will be irrelevant in the near future"
  by sixty-six

Hawaiitiki wrote:From article
"AMT says the fleet expansion was ‘imperative’, as commuter rail ridership had more than doubled in the 14 years since the authority took charge of the services. Gauthier confirmed that ‘electrifying the entire AMT network is now a distinct possibility’, adding that the results of a feasibility study being undertaken by AMT and local electricity supplier Hydro-Québec ‘are expected very soon’"

Anybody else finding the timing of that statement a little bit bizzarre. I see it as "It is a distict possibility that these locomotives will be irrelevant in the near future"
How so? There's nowhere in that clip that says it's going to happen.
  by Jtgshu

I guess one good thing about the dual modes would be when Amtrak has its power supply problems (like today, for example) at least NJT trains with dual modes will be able to keep moving, the only delay should be going from electric to diesel mode.......

its a good day to be on a diesel day.....
  by Rotax

Hawaiitiki wrote:From article

The feasibility study has been released recently and AMT announced that three lines (but not all the network) would be electrified before 2020. There is a big possibility that they will "partially electrify" some lines first. I think the tracks near downtown Montreal are likely to be electrified first.
  by ApproachMedium

This doesnt mean they will be useless in a few years they are still useful. Hell in fact they will be doing exactly the purpose that I had envisioned they would. Partly electric railroad buys them, captures ridership, extends electrification in bits and pieces with little to no change in service! Fantastic! Now only if we could see this in the US.... And even after the whole system or good majority is electrified they will still have a useful purpose when the power goes out or service needs to be done to the wire where they would not be able to run all electric trains.
  by frostyorange

I remember something during the oil crisis in the 1970's involving electrification to Chicago from Harrisburg. It involved crazy and huge freight loco prototypes also. Eventually everyone with the means to carry out such a project lost interest I guess.