• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Hawaiitiki

Does anybody on this thread happen to know who upkeeps the wikipedia article on the cut-off? because if he or she is, I have to congratulate them on a fantastic, thorough, and up-to-date article. It's not perfect, but certainly as much and more as you can expect from a wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cutoff
  by Roadgeek Adam

Hawaiitiki wrote:Does anybody on this thread happen to know who upkeeps the wikipedia article on the cut-off? because if he or she is, I have to congratulate them on a fantastic, thorough, and up-to-date article. It's not perfect, but certainly as much and more as you can expect from a wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cutoff
As a Wikipedian myself, I have to good faith disagree. The one who is "upkeeping" it is turning it into a disaster.
  by Passaic River Rat

Anyone want to buy a bridge?

In all seriousness: As Cruiser pointed out, the only awarded contract that I can find on the NJT web page for the Cutoff was the tree removal and grubbing. Until the Board of Directors pulls some money off their money tree and award another contract, there will be no real news. FWIW, the money tree is not doing so well.

And yes, I was pulling everyone's leg about the rail train, the tie train, and the switch at Suscon.

My point? Unless money gets spent and contracts get awarded, nothing happens.
  by Matt Johnson

Passaic River Rat wrote: And yes, I was pulling everyone's leg about the rail train, the tie train, and the switch at Suscon.
So, it's not too late to convince them to go maglev!
  by HBLR

Yes, maglev. Perfect. I've always needed to get from hoboken to scranton in 20 minutes.
  by Bill S

River Rat

Are they putting all that ballast down and doing the drainage work for nothing without a contract.
  by waldwickrailfan

Bill S wrote:River Rat

Are they putting all that ballast down and doing the drainage work for nothing without a contract.
i think they are doing that with a contract.
  by Passaic River Rat

Bill S wrote:River Rat

Apparently, they are doing so under a contract approved at the October 14, 2009 board meeting. Contract No. 10-014X, for restoration of the roadbed. I have yet to see anything about purchase of track material, signal apparatus, or any awards for station construction.
Until another contract gets awarded, I don't think anything is definite.
  by HBLR

What kind of signal masts etc will they use, anyone know?
  by nomis

None, manual block system ... service not planned to last past 2015 :-)
  by DutchRailnut

MBS with PTC ?? as required in 2014 ??
  by Uzi-Cat

HBLR wrote:What kind of signal masts etc will they use, anyone know?
The kind that are tubular, vertical and have funny little lights on the tall part.
  by uzplayer

Passaic River Rat wrote:Anyone want to buy a bridge?

In all seriousness: As Cruiser pointed out, the only awarded contract that I can find on the NJT web page for the Cutoff was the tree removal and grubbing. Until the Board of Directors pulls some money off their money tree and award another contract, there will be no real news. FWIW, the money tree is not doing so well.

And yes, I was pulling everyone's leg about the rail train, the tie train, and the switch at Suscon.

My point? Unless money gets spent and contracts get awarded, nothing happens.
All kidding aside, that might have saved some money...if the switch wasn't installed already.

And I concur about the Wikipedia entry...but that is a problem with most entries... One thing I found funny about the entry was the dual modes and midtown direct service. Hilarious...