• disgruntled wife! help!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

i can say this about the pay vs the lifestyle,as i did almost 10 years on conrail in T&E. all in all it's not that well paying a job compaired to normal hours factory worker jobs out there. I always thought the signal/ maintainers job would be the way to go if I had to do it over. I hired out and almost right away went in business part time till it was built up to the point of "pulling the pin" leaving the RR. One thing back in the 90's,the RR was flexible on taking off extended periods of time to nuture the self employment. I guess today this could not be done?
  by COEN77

I don't understand why people complain about the time spent away working on the railroad in T&E. One is dedicated or their not. It's never been for everyone. I preferred the railroad lifestyle compared to a 7-3 m-f job. Again that was my choice it's not for everyone. Like a long haul trucker, maritime worker, the military ect...it becomes a lifestyle. Years ago there was a lot of leniency towards taking time off. People wanted the unions to get assigned rest days on road freight pools with it came the restrictions. It became a matter of asking for things that they now regret.
  by Gadfly

COEN77 wrote:I don't understand why people complain about the time spent away working on the railroad in T&E. One is dedicated or their not. It's never been for everyone. I preferred the railroad lifestyle compared to a 7-3 m-f job. Again that was my choice it's not for everyone. Like a long haul trucker, maritime worker, the military ect...it becomes a lifestyle. Years ago there was a lot of leniency towards taking time off. People wanted the unions to get assigned rest days on road freight pools with it came the restrictions. It became a matter of asking for things that they now regret.
Southern wasn't all that bad about letting people mark off back in the early days....unless the 'board was exhausted. If it was, they'd tell you, "Don't you DARE call in to mark off right now; all marks-off must be cleared with ME!" (Terminal Agent or Superintendent or immediate supervisor) If you did call in to mark off during one of those "short" times, you'd get a real a$$-chewing depending on who you were talking to. Some of 'em were easy to convince it was a "real" emergency, Others? "IF I FIND OUT THIS AIN'T A REAL EMERGENCY, YOU'LL BE OUT OF SERVICE FOR A MONTH; I'LL SEE TO IT!" :)

When the NW people came down, it REALLY got anal! :(

GF
  by Georgia Railroader

Damn! I wish my wife made 100K a year!!
  by daves4usc

haha I love the title of this thread.
  by Engineer Spike

She hasn't commented back on what we have said. There are some things that are mutually exclusive. The Leave it to Beaver, Ward gets home to a nice meal with the family, promptly at 5:30, doesn't happen on the railroad.
  by 10more years

If my wife quit a 100K job...... Honestly, words cannot express my feelings.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

you said it,100k jobs are alot harder to come by than a RR job.